Will be expanding my standard hen flock next spring, need breed recommendations

aww, just do like im trying to do, just get one of everything!

no, i want to keep things fairly stable. I plan on keeping my layers after they have ceased egg production, great for garden clean up, so a controlled number is important, while i can keep up to 99 layers where i live, i have no intent on going even half that far.
lol.png

Last edited:
I assume you dont have a rooster and there is no need to want a broody hen. Might I suggest the buff orpington. I have several amongst a number of other breeds as well. Not all but most of these lay an egg a day or 1 every other day. I have a few of this breed that love to be held and fondled and a few that just hang around when there are treats to be passed out. All in all my favorites of the 5 breeds I own. Black sex links are my best egg producers with great coloring but not quite as docile. very good flock birds also. Good luck on this one as you are in the candy store and need to shop!:plbb

Hi GQ!

My 2nd flock was Rhode Island Reds from a breeder in Lindsay, On. She was selling her culls, but they were good layers of medium to large size eggs. Cold hardy, excellent foragers & alert. Colour won't stand out as much to a ground predator, like a white bird does. I've been thinking about getting a few again myself. :)

Barred rocks are also a great option. The barring is good camouflage too. :)

Yep, lots of choices.....speckled Sussex, Partridge Chantecler,.....Its dizzying! Good luck with your search. ;)

I assume you dont have a rooster and there is no need to want a broody hen. Might I suggest the buff orpington. I have several amongst a number of other breeds as well. Not all but most of these lay an egg a day or 1 every other day. I have a few of this breed that love to be held and fondled and a few that just hang around when there are treats to be passed out. All in all my favorites of the 5 breeds I own. Black sex links are my best egg producers with great coloring but not quite as docile. very good flock birds also. Good luck on this one as you are in the candy store and need to shop!
tongue2.gif

I am not quite sure what you mean with your first sentence in relation to your breed suggestion.

Buff Orpingtons are known to be broody. And a hen can go broody whether there is a rooster around or not. Of course they will never hatch chicks without a rooster.

I like my Brahmas. They are dependable 1 egg every two days type of girls. They start out not too friendly, argue a lot when you pick them up, but once grow up I have notices they become very friendly. but like someone already said, hand feeding and picking the girls up does the trick.

no, i want to keep things fairly stable. I plan on keeping my layers after they have ceased egg production, great for garden clean up, so a controlled number is important, while i can keep up to 99 layers where i live, i have no intent on going even half that far.
lol.png

You mentioned you have Ameraucana. What other breeds do you have?

A limit of 99 hens? :) Wow, that is a lot. It seems most people who have hens have in the 6 to 20 range.

Bullitt, you are exactly right. Orpington hens can be a broody bunch. 2 messages of intent were in my comment. One is that her egg numbers would decrease with a broody breed in the nesting box. The other would fill her necessity of replenishing her stock with a rooster around and a good broody such as an orpington if she chose to do so. I should have clarified it. Some breeds are good egg layers and are not known to become broody.
The Orpington breed is a good egg layer, a good mother broody, and very docile.

Back
Top Bottom