Will broody hen adopt chicks?

I had a Buff Orpinton go broody, she was only "fully broody" for about 5 days. In other words she had started to act broody for a couple weeks...sitting in the nest box for several hours a day but then she would leave the nest for the rest of the day, she started to get growly and not want us to collect her eggs, finally she sat on her eggs and would not leave the nest, attacked your hand if you reached for her egg. So I gave her some golf balls to sit on and she would not leave them. After not leaving the nest for 5 days I knew she was "fully broody" .

So, I decided to get her some chicks at the feed store. The chicks were probably more like 3 to 5 days old not 1 day old when I went and bought them. I got 8, put them under a lamp in the feed room and waited until after dark (about 11pm). Went into the shed where she was (she is not accepted by the flock so she lived in the hay shed) and I slipped a chick under her and took out the golf balls. She made a little purring sound. I slipped the rest of the chicks under her. They had been cheeping unhappily but now as they nestled under her they became quiet and the hen made little noises to them. I was a little afraid they would leave her and wander around the hay shed but they did not. I checked again at about 3am and all was quiet, some little faces peeking out but everything seemed fine. I went out to be there at first light and the little ones would crawl in and out from under her but stayed very close. She seemed quite content with them. I was more amazed that the chicks born in a hatchery knew what a hen was than I was that the hen took them. I don't know if older chicks would know what a mother hen was for but these ones were crawling all over her later in the day.

We moved her to a more secure stall that we normally use for horses in the back of out pole barn. Two days later my daughter brought over 2 more chicks from the same batch at the feed store. It was broad daylight when we put those 2 in with her. One ran over to the other chicks and joined right in. One apparently did not know what to do and stood back. This chick got rejected by the hen. She took 9 in total but would not take the 10th chick. I tried again after dark but come morning she was able to recognize that chick and drove it away every time (it was the only Silver Laced Wyandotte so maybe it was how it looked or maybe how it acted I don't know. So we took that chick back to the feed store (I didn't want to set up a brooder for 1 chick).

Sadly, a weasel dug under the door and carried off all the chicks when they were about 2 weeks old so I never got to see them free range with the momma and/or integrate with the flock.

I did but my rooster kept bothering me so I couldnt do it I'm going to try it again.i was wondering can we do it in the day because. My rooster is roming around with the flock

Well, even if your rooster wasnt roaming with the flock it would be fine.
The reason that people do it at night is so when the mom wakes up in the morning she finds chicks under her instead of eggs so she thinks they have hatched but if she sees you put them under her she might think that they are another hens chicks.
Also, it is best if you have eggs under her but since you dont that is ok, i think...
tongue.png

Good Luck, you can try and see.

Last edited:
Can I put ping pong balls under her there orange.if i put them under her now and then at night put the chicks under her.sorry for all the questions.im just a little nervous and want to find out as much as I can

Yeah I think that will work, I am no expert just so you know though...
So far you are doing everything right, If she doesn't accept them though you should know that it is not your fault! :)
Good Luck! :D

Last edited:
I'll just quickly share what happened to me today. My silkie went broody and some eggs were older than other so some hatched earlier than other. 3 hatched in two days but then the other three were abandoned. One of the 3 abandoned eggs hatched in a small "brooder", another died as an embryo and the other was just a few days from hatching but it looked dead to me so I opened it......turn out it was still alive
sad.png
. The one chick that hatched dried nicely and today I tried putting her under the silkie hen. At first the silkie pecked the chick but then slowly accepted it. I went out again a few minutes ago and found the chick all alone in the far corner away from the other chicks and the silkie. When I put the chick back to the hen it was attacked. Turns out the silkie hen still hasn't accepted it. Now I'll have to take care of it. For a hen to accept chicks which are late or not her own is a risky thing. Sometimes it works and sometimes is doesn't. But even if she doesn't accept your chicks it will still be a LOT of fun taking care of them. If you can build a small brooder out of which they can't jump they don't even require a lot of time, just food, water and heat.
Lets just hope for the best :)
Good luck

Sorry to hear about the two that died...
I guess if they already have chicks, they dont want new ones, it also deppends on how desperate the hen is, chick little, have you tried it yet?

I have a Dark Cornish hen that will adopt whatever you give her -broody or not! She steals chicks from other hens too. I gave her 7 Silkies I bought on craigslist and she raised them to maturity. She's now raising 3 chicks from eggs that another hen gave up on and quit the nest. I have another hen raising a single chick and the Cornish always tries to steal that other chick too. In the past I've had excellent luck giving chicks to broodies. I've put them right under the hens in the middle of the day - no hiding or sneaking them in at night - but if you really wanted to be sure, I'd sneak them in at night when it's totally dark.

Of course I have a rooster that practically adopts babies too. He feeds them and protects them, from the first day I put them in there with a hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom