Will broody hen take care of chicks that were incubated?

nursecat9

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
I may have posted this in the wrong section earlier. I have 13 bantam cochins that just hatched in the incubator, but I now have 5 hens that are broody. Can I put the chicks in with these hens? Will they take care of them ok? If anyone could let me know asap...thanks!
wee.gif

It's their chicks! They wouldn't go broody, and the week after the incubator arrived in the mail, 5 of them went broody. So they are really their chicks!
love.gif

So I put 2 hens in the brooder bc I had 15 chicks hatch. I was afraid that would be too many for 1 mama. Both picked at 2 chicks bc they didn't know what they were at first, but very quickly they started tucking them under themselves. I just left the garage where my brooder is set up, and every chick was tucked under a mama and were quiet!
wee.gif

So amazing how God has allowed us mama's to love so much, we'll just take any baby you throw our way!
love.gif

28231_p1010890.jpg

28231_p1010862.jpg

So, it worked! Both hens have turned out to be wonderful mothers! I love watching them...although, they don't like it too much! Very protective of their new babies. They've been diligent in taking them to the feeder and water...clucking and using their beaks to show them what to do, then tucking them under themselves for their nap time! I could stay out there all day!

Back
Top Bottom