Will CASTRATING Roo's early change Roo-like behaviour????

Goats and cattle are often "banded". Looks like a big heavy rubber band. Cuts off the blood suply and they drop off. No blood.
Horses and pigs require a bit more cutting to get to everything. Still very little blood.

farrier! :

Goats and cattle are often "banded". Looks like a big heavy rubber band. Cuts off the blood suply and they drop off. No blood.
Horses and pigs require a bit more cutting to get to everything. Still very little blood.

Banding is illegal in a couple states isn't it? I worked for a vet once who thought it was a horrible way to catrate an aniaml, very painful and frequently went wrong.​

Quote:
Banding is illegal in a couple states isn't it? I worked for a vet once who thought it was a horrible way to catrate an aniaml, very painful and frequently went wrong.

I sure have never heard that, a lot of the vets in our area do it.
I have done it on a lot of goats over the years and they never had any problems nor did they show any pain.

I also do not know of any veterinarian who routinely anesthetizes pigs. Both farmers and vets cut pull and remove from pigs with just a squirt or two of disinfectant.

There are still lots who use the rubber band method...even vets. I haven't ever heard anything bad of it...yet....or know of anyone who had trouble. But that isn't to say no one does. Every procedure has the possibility of some complications.

We don't use anestesia. Just disinfectant as mentioned. Works great and never any problems. If we do it for someone elses horse then sometimes owners request they have anestesia but I don't recommend it at all. The only time I would consider anestesia on a horse..or pig...is if they are going into surgery. It makes the owners feel better though.
smile.png

JMO

Quote:
I didn't mean to sound flippant about it. Lots of times, there will be a "stealth rooster" in a batch of sexed pullets and most people will give them away. I only meant that giving/selling them was better than trying to perform a dangerous surgical procedure, even if could find someone to do that.

Quote:
Banding is illegal in a couple states isn't it? I worked for a vet once who thought it was a horrible way to catrate an aniaml, very painful and frequently went wrong.

I've done animals several ways, and banding seems like one of the most humane to me. That's how I did my wethers. We just slipped the band on, and they were off running and playing. They looked back there a few times that day, and no noted discomfort after that. I actually had a vet fix an umbillical hernia in a horse that way, too.

I also do not know of any veterinarian who routinely anesthetizes pigs. Both farmers and vets cut pull and remove from pigs with just a squirt or two of disinfectant.

Very true. And the strangest thing is that the piglets don't squeal any more while being castrated than while just being held! And they typically do fine, too.​

How on earth do you band a rooster, who doesn't have, er, anything to band, exactly? Caponizing is an invasion into the body cavity. They don't have sex organs like cows and horses. I know what banding is because my grandfather did that to the young bulls.

I can't see anyone in their right mind banding a *bird*, the testes are up inside the body cavity next to the kidneys against the front of the spine. If you can get to them (which requires major abdominal surgery, without anesthetic, hence the less than 100% survival rate), you REMOVE them.

That of course (the location of the testes and the invasiveness required to get to them) is why castrating a bird is totally different from castrating a mammal and not done nearly so often.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom