Will Cat Harm Chickens?

I wasn't worried about our cat porkchop, he's too lazy. But Tinkerbelle, she is a huntress despite her size. She slinks everywhere. One of the funniest things I have ever seen was Tinkie trying to slink along the perimeter of the back yard with about 8 hen following her. She just kept going faster and they would go faster. She finally just ran away. Poor Porkchop can't even poop in peace. They all come over to see what he is doing. We have one Buff Orp that I think wants to befriend him. He's just not that into her.

I was worried about our barn cat Ole getting after my chickens too- the girls were about 5 or 6 weeks old when I moved them out into the run and I'd chase Ole away from the fence with a squirt bottle every chance I got. Well, fast forward a few months and the ladies are equal if not bigger in size and Ole hasn't so much as batted a feather. He naps with the free range roosters in the dust bowl almost every afternoon and he is constantly campaigning to be allowed to sleep in a nest box.Best of luck!

gig.gif
My cat begged to come in the coop, so I set her in and all the chickens came running at her, she just dropped down as flat as she could......she's still interested but if I try to bring her in she runs

lol, i think it really depends on the imdividual, some cats are lazy, like my cat was more of a lover rather than a figher and pretty lazy (orange and white male...) lolz but other cats are real hunters so i think it really depends on the particular cat but i think most cats should leave them alone, ore eventually learn too. good luck!
smile.png

I have a "no violence" policy in place. If you cannot get along with everyone else, you're out. So far, nobody has been thrown out
lol.png
If one of my dogs killed one of my birds, the dog would be gone. They're here to protect rather than to destroy. Somehow they have always known this because they've never made any attempt to harm the birds. Also, many people keep cats here in Thailand along with chickens in order to control rats, and I agree with others, the cats seem to ignore the chickens completely. I'd like to see the average cat take on one of my ducks........
lol.png
, they'd end up being ducky treat
lol.png

Ruth, beautiful shep, and a good shep, I loved mine to pieces but did they like to eat my chickens! I have a stray feral cat who would probably sleep in the coop if they weren't locked in. I don't think I'd mind it. Either way, we don't have the mouse problems we used to.

My two outdoor barn cats are scared of my chickens - I saw a white leghorn chasing cookie (the female cat) around the yard and had to go break it up.
tongue.png
They walk by my cats without even looking.

Thank you so much for your kind replies. My chickens are 9 wks. old now. Our cat hasn't tried a thing yet- when they free range at night. I'll keep a close eye out until they are fully grown though.

My orange and white cat so wants to be part of the flock, same color and everything. The cats were slightly interested when they were chicks, now they just tattle if the chickens are wandering somewhere they should not.

see avitar:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom