Will cats attack silkies or similar sized breeds?

AChickenBoi

Songster
Oct 13, 2019
There’s been a boom in the cat population of my neighborhood. They’re becoming more abundant, which is either from the lack of spaying and neutering, or people letting their cats wander outside. This is potentially bad not only for my chickens, but also the cats in question, as they get hurt really easy with hawks and dogs abundant. Just a week ago, I came across a kitty that got hit by a car (she was still alive, and my family was able to find her owner).

The biggest concern I have is for my chickens. I don’t doubt that my barred rock and sapphire could handle themselves against a cat, since they are medium to large breeds, but I do have some concern for my Silkie bantam and Silkie cross. My only Silkie, Shadow, is about the average size of a bantam Silkie, and has gotten through 3 years, so she has had some experience with predators and how to hide from them. Same as Levi, but she’s younger and I don’t know if she’s as smart to hide.

Would a cat try to actively hunt a bantam chicken, or would they leave them alone for the most part? There’s also a lot of squirrels in the neighborhood, and I think they would be a better prey item than a full grown chicken, but I still worry because of the amount of cats visiting the yard as of late. 2 have come today, one in the early morning, and one in the evening when it got dark. I’ve done a decent job scaring off the ones that I come across (as much as I dislike doing it, my chickens come first.) but if I have even one incident with a cat attacking my girls, I just might start trapping them myself.

There’s been a boom in the cat population of my neighborhood. They’re becoming more abundant, which is either from the lack of spaying and neutering, or people letting their cats wander outside. This is potentially bad not only for my chickens, but also the cats in question, as they get hurt really easy with hawks and dogs abundant. Just a week ago, I came across a kitty that got hit by a car (she was still alive, and my family was able to find her owner).

The biggest concern I have is for my chickens. I don’t doubt that my barred rock and sapphire could handle themselves against a cat, since they are medium to large breeds, but I do have some concern for my Silkie bantam and Silkie cross. My only Silkie, Shadow, is about the average size of a bantam Silkie, and has gotten through 3 years, so she has had some experience with predators and how to hide from them. Same as Levi, but she’s younger and I don’t know if she’s as smart to hide.

Would a cat try to actively hunt a bantam chicken, or would they leave them alone for the most part? There’s also a lot of squirrels in the neighborhood, and I think they would be a better prey item than a full grown chicken, but I still worry because of the amount of cats visiting the yard as of late. 2 have come today, one in the early morning, and one in the evening when it got dark. I’ve done a decent job scaring off the ones that I come across (as much as I dislike doing it, my chickens come first.) but if I have even one incident with a cat attacking my girls, I just might start trapping them myself.
Yes, some cats will kill bantam chickens or even larger chickens. Please try to see if your neighbors are willing to spay and neuter the cats because it is so, so important that breeding in cats is controlled and not hoarding-like.

My cat spends 80% of his waking life outside. When he isn’t inside sleeping he’s outside hunting. He tried to kill my chickens when we first got them but my rooster kept him away. One good kick from a rooster scared that cat straight. We even took in a stray cat that tried the same crap and my rooster didn’t even have to kick him. Just ran at him. Cats will kill chickens. If there is an opening they will kill them. If my roosters hadn’t been there to protect the girls I’m sure I would have lost them.

To my knowledge I've never had a problem with cats. We have 2 outside cats and the neighborhood has many more roaming. I have a hen running around and when she comes up the steps to eat the cat food our cats scatter

Cats are hunters by instinct. If the opportunity is present I do think they would kill any chicken. I have caught some feral cats in the past. We are rural on a dead end road and in the past people have dropped off there unwanted so we have been the recipients of others releases including cats. Good luck...

Some people say cats mostly leave chickens alone. And that’s true for the most part. But you’re right to be concerned about the smaller birds. I know of situations where a cat stalked and hunted silkies and polish.
Is there a way I can keep them away? I’ve heard of growing lavender and other plants cats hate, but I can’t find any way to get my hands on a few plants. My dad thought of getting pellet or BB guns and just shooting them (since nobody cares about their damn cats enough to keep them indoors) and if I get an incident with a cat, I just might let him :(((

Unprotected chicks would certainly be attractive to many cats, and large hens or roosters much less attractive. Silkies may be fair game to some cats, and are more vulnerable to all predators, because they are small, and have poor vision thanks to their feathering. Also they can't fly, never good.
You could live trap visiting cats, and take them to your Animal Control shelter, if that's possible. Cats wearing a collar, or who are microchipped, can have owners found.
Have you talked to your neighbors, asking who owns these cats? I'd want to find owners first, and let them know that your chickens can be at risk on your own property.
Then safe housing, and electric fencing if possible, are your friends.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom