Will cats kill chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickaboom, Nov 4, 2008.

1. chickaboom

chickaboom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2008
    WV
    Before I find out accidentally,, will my cats kill my chickens?
    My gut says yes. Am I right?

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    imho. I think it depends on the cat. Most will not bother full grown standard birds, even barn cats prefer mice to angry hens. Nearly everyone on here will tell you not to worry about it, they'll adjust and be ok. But, I brought home the most beautiful calico barn cat from a stable, they just gave her to me, and the next day she began stalking the chickens, that very sneaky stalk of the cat that lives only by it's wits. I soon realized that she was patient and would wait till the birds were asleep, like when they dust bath, and then pounce. Now, perhaps one time with an angry hen would have cured her, but I was not going to wait and find out. Especially because of my bantys. And this cat was freefed all the quality cat food she could hold. Nope, I took her back.

3. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    We have a farm next door with about 5 cats. They come around the chickens but have never done anything to alarm them. I think the birds are too big and the cats know they would not succeed. there are better things around to hunt.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    If we are talking about chicks, it is possible.

If we are talking about adult chickens, not unless the cat is insane with starvation will it attempt to catch an adult.

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Cats will kill chicks and juveniles. It does depend on the individual cat though. Beepers, my tame kitty is pretty good around the birds but I would not trust Shaddow as far as I could throw his sorry butt! He'd kill on in a second if given the opportunity.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It is a natural instinct for a cat to eat a bird however, that would be chicks and juveniles before adult birds. Adults are just to big for most cats to mess with.

I believe it depends on the individual cat, however, I would trust no cat with chicks or juveniles unsupervised.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I've lost several full grown chickens to barn cats over the years. If they can get in the coop at night or get them cornered during the day they won't think twice about killing them.

8. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    My chickens boss my cats around the yard! Usually they all hang around together under the big lilac tree, but occasionally, I'll see a cat scurrying across the yard with a chicken waddling after it. One good peck on the noggin is enough to teach my kitties who is boss! My roo especially lets it be known when it is "chickens only" time!

9. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I have lost several birds to cats this past year.

10. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Hah! Those mangy alley cats my wife feeds used to spend hours staring at my chicks through the wire. When they were eight weeks old, I turned them loose in the backyard. The rooster sent all of them packing. He owns the backyard now.

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by