Will cats kill Chickens?

I didnt think it would be a problem. My coops all fenced in and covered so hopefully they wont get in. I believe my neighbor feeds a couple feral cats.

I had a stray show up last summer, he's a real good hunter. All the hoards of lizards in my yard were gone in a month
hmm.png
. He walks up to the chickens and tries to rub lovingly on them with his head and neck.

Last edited:
All the barn cats on my farm are intrigued by the chickens but don't try to kill them. The cats all like to come into the large outer run with me and lay in the chicken pits and check out the coop but otherwise, they mostly ignore the chickens - I think it is the coop as a potential sleeping place that is of greater interest. The youngest cat sometimes chases a chicken but I think it is mainly to see them run - he may be bold, but he knows the chickens would whip his furry behind given half a chance. The oldest male cat is a cranky creature who typically reminds everyone else on the farm that he is the king but even he walks away when the chickens turn on him.

While these are barn cats, they are well fed. I could see a hungry feral cat going after some chickens.

I really hate to rain on your parades, Kids, but yes...cats will kill chickens....even younger turkeys. I witnessed a "tame" female cat....dropped off at my place out in the sticks by somebody who apparently learned after the fact that cute kittens need training and do grow up to be a problem if they don't get it....leap on one of my BBW's at the water pan and kill it with a back of the head bite. I was too far away at the time to stop it, but my .12 gauge Remington made sure it didn't happen again. The turkey was in the 4 - 5 pound size range, so it was NOT a baby poult.

This cat had been around the birds for the better part of six months and I kept dishes of catfood out for my own (which it helped itself to), so it was not the first time it was around the turkeys and it was not hungry. She also did not have a litter hidden out anywhere. Cats march to a different drummer.....what they don't do today, they probably will tomorrow....or next week. Don't trust the buggers.

Lonesomerider

I agree with the prevailing consensus, house cats are typically not a danger to a full grown chicken. I have had a few problems with feral cats skulking around the chicken coop, but I've solved that problem with a live animal trap. I don't see feral cats during the day here, so as long as they're locked up at night I'm not worried about it. I have seen the hen who is at the top of the pecking order chase off house cats she thinks have gotten too close to the flock, but she chased off a dog once too, so I think she's remarkably brave!

One of the rescues I worked at had issues with ferals attacking chickens. And back when I lived at home, the neighbor's cat went after both our chickens and our rabbits SEVERAL times. I personally don't trust any predator, domesticated or wild, around chickens unattended. Some cats/dogs are well behaved with all manner of critters, but all it takes is something enticing their prey drive like a chirping chick or a sudden flurry of movement if something spooks the flock or even an older bird who isn't feeling well. Better to be over-cautious than under-prepared.

I agree, most cats will not harm the chickens, my cat used to chase them don't know if she got nipped or just tired of the game but doesn't any more, we had a wild cat that would sit by the coop to catch mice,never went after the chickens. I do think a true feral cat would kill a chicken they can get very big. and will take on a small dog.

My pet cat doesn't bother my hens.Last yr i had two big 2yr old NH Reds killed by a roaming cat. I know cats will kill a full grown large breed.Most cats won't, but its not accurate to say cats do not kill full grown chickens, i know better..!

Back
Top Bottom