Will cats kill Chickens?

Can anybody name some things that will scare the cats away immediately?
If you've got feral cats and they're interfering with your ability to provide food for your family, it should not be a matter of scaring them off. That will not work.

You should dispatch them once and for all.

Last edited:
It has been my experience that although they may not to kill the adult chickens watch out for your baby chicks as any cat that is hungry enough we'll go after your young chicks

My three indoor/outdoor cats have never had problems with my hens. They're relatively small cats and don't have much prey drive. They'd rather rub against your legs and roll in the dirt then deal with the chickens. I'd never let mine around small chicks or young pullets/cockerels, but the older hens and the cats coexist happily.

Dispatching them is really the only option, unfortunately. We had a feral/wild cat show up at our property a couple of months ago and didn't even think about the possibility of it attacking our chickens...until it did. My husband caught a glimpse of it running away the first time it attacked them, but wasn't positive what it was. We didn't catch sight of it again until a week after the second attack, during which it killed one of our hens. Though we weren't able to take care of it the last time we saw it, I guarantee you the next time we see it, we won't ever have to worry about it attacking the chickens again.

My cat probably would try to eat a very small young chick but fortunately has never succeeded. She used to "stalk" our hens but the moment she jumped out she realized how out matched she was and usually ran up a tree. I wouldn't worry about average sized adult hens.

We have A LOT of stray cats around my house. Some of the cats will definitely try to eat our chicks and Full Grown chickens. Though many don't even bother, roosters may help protect the flock and scare the cats away. So I would look into getting a rooster, also I would set some traps and maybe get a dog or if you have one let it out a lot to scare the cats away. What I do is take food over to my neighbors yard and dump it over there so the cats will go over there eat and won't bother my hens since they won't be hungry.

Back
Top Bottom