Will Changes to the Lacey Act affect chicken and quail keeping?

AgnesGray

Free Ranging
Mar 8, 2019
Ohio, US
My Coop
My Coop
I saw this in a hatching group. Has anyone else seen this? And it was brought up that the right to keep quail and other bird species may be taken away. Text and graphics from the original post:

"Please read this!!! It is a lengthy article. It is changes to Lacey act which will cover ANY non-native species.
(*** It is included in the Competes Act which is about workers protection from China and has passed the house .**** )
Including quail and eggs. What this will do if passed is make it a federal, jailable offense to raise, keep, transport, or breed species of birds, mammals, reptiles that are non-native. I haven't yet figured out if it includes "nonnative" chickens. The only allowances are " normal" dogs and cats as pets. So Coturnix Quail will be a NO.
I've never been much for one for politics but this is a massive threat to so many.
It is already passed the House if it passes the Senate breeders are in trouble.
I've been in contact with several bird breeders and it does cover all parrots parakeets etc but I cannot determine about chickens. But just the way it is worded I believe it does. Chickens are not native species. I will try to clarify.
https://www.reef2rainforest.com/.../federal-legislation.../ "
273742277_5185600341450342_2164842754496002478_n.jpg

Any thoughts about this?

Rubio has submitted this in the Senate.

Key paragraph [emphasis mine]
(d)
Presumptive prohibition on importation

(1)
In general

Importation into the United States of any species of wild mammals, wild birds, fish (including mollusks and crustacea), amphibians, or reptiles, or the offspring or eggs of any such species, that is not native to the United States and, as of the date of enactment of the Lacey Act Amendments of 2021, is not prohibited under subsection (a)(1), is prohibited, unless

(A)
during the 1-year period preceding the date of enactment of the Lacey Act Amendments of 2021, the species was, in more than minimal quantities—

(i)
imported into the United States; or

(ii)
transported between the States, any territory of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any possession of the United States; or

and THIS appears to be the passed text of HR 4521, which does not include the language the articles author is talking about. Perhaps they had another bill in mind?

Rubio has submitted this in the Senate.

Key paragraph [emphasis mine]
(d)
Presumptive prohibition on importation

(1)
In general

Importation into the United States of any species of wild mammals, wild birds, fish (including mollusks and crustacea), amphibians, or reptiles, or the offspring or eggs of any such species, that is not native to the United States and, as of the date of enactment of the Lacey Act Amendments of 2021, is not prohibited under subsection (a)(1), is prohibited, unless

(A)
during the 1-year period preceding the date of enactment of the Lacey Act Amendments of 2021, the species was, in more than minimal quantities—

(i)
imported into the United States; or

(ii)
transported between the States, any territory of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any possession of the United States; or

and THIS appears to be the passed text of HR 4521, which does not include the language the articles author is talking about. Perhaps they had another bill in mind?
That's what I'm trying to sort out. Searching for details about it brings up so. much. stuff...

...including this link on change.org https://chng.it/RwLRBCQYgb

It is already really difficult to import chickens into the U.S. What are the practical ramifications of this? For example, UDA stipulates that:

It is the pet owner’s responsibility to make sure their pet meets U.S. entry requirements. Failure to meet these import requirements will result in problems upon arrival in the United States, and the pet may be refused entry.

Multiple U.S. agencies regulate pets imported into the United States. It is important that you notify and coordinate with all responsible government agencies.
To clarify entry requirements, please contact the National Import Export Services by phone at (301) 851-3300 or e-mail.

For pet birds which have never lived in the United States (U.S.) and that are traveling to the U.S. from any country, the requirements generally include:
* a Veterinary Services (VS) import permit. There are fees associated with all VS services; in general, you can expect to pay a minimum of $700.00 for these services.
* an original health certificate issued or endorsed by the government of the foreign country your bird is traveling from;
* an examination at the first U.S. port of entry (must be at one of the designated airports);
* disease testing;
* a 30 day quarantine.

The US Fish and Wildlife has a whole different set of requirements that are equally as onerous.

Last edited:
I signed the petition but don't have any social media accounts.I recommend anyone who does share this so the word gets out!
I shared it in a quail group and I think they thought it wasn't real as they deleted it. In my hatching groups I see people sharing it, but about half of the people don't believe it to be legit unfortunately. Some dog groups are picking it up now so hopefully it will get some traction before going to senate.

It is already really difficult to import chickens into the U.S. What are the practical ramifications of this? For example, UDA stipulates that:

It is the pet owner’s responsibility to make sure their pet meets U.S. entry requirements. Failure to meet these import requirements will result in problems upon arrival in the United States, and the pet may be refused entry.

Multiple U.S. agencies regulate pets imported into the United States. It is important that you notify and coordinate with all responsible government agencies.
To clarify entry requirements, please contact the National Import Export Services by phone at (301) 851-3300 or e-mail.

For pet birds which have never lived in the United States (U.S.) and that are traveling to the U.S. from any country, the requirements generally include:
* a Veterinary Services (VS) import permit. There are fees associated with all VS services; in general, you can expect to pay a minimum of $700.00 for these services.
* an original health certificate issued or endorsed by the government of the foreign country your bird is traveling from;
* an examination at the first U.S. port of entry (must be at one of the designated airports);
* disease testing;
* a 30 day quarantine.

The US Fish and Wildlife has a whole different set of requirements that are equally as onerous.
I believe the risks to good animal husbandry come in going to a white list system from a black list system. If not on the white list, there will be challenges crossing state lines. If limited to what is in my state, genetics of any species become very limited. It's an overreach, in my opinion, that has the potential to bring no good to the wellbeing or development of many domestically kept animals.

It is already really difficult to import chickens into the U.S. What are the practical ramifications of this?

I believe the risks to good animal husbandry come in going to a white list system from a black list system. If not on the white list, there will be challenges crossing state lines. If limited to what is in my state, genetics of any species become very limited.
If @U_Stormcrow got the text right, neither of those should be an issue for chickens or Coturnix quail, because they are domestic species, and the bill applies to WILD mammals and WILD birds.

Here's a re-quote of part of the text, to point that out:
Importation into the United States of any species of wild mammals, wild birds...

That page does have the "presumptive prohibition on importation" and other ammendments to the Lacey act that are being discussed. It's among the amendments, WAY down the page.

(I don't know whether it was added after you posted that link, or if it was hiding down there all along.)

If @U_Stormcrow got the text right, neither of those should be an issue for chickens or Coturnix quail, because they are domestic species, and the bill applies to WILD mammals and WILD birds.

Here's a re-quote of part of the text, to point that out:
My understanding is that nonnative species would fall under the "wild" category which would apply to many fish (some of which no longer exist in nature sue to loss of habitat), reptiles, and birds.

Back
Top Bottom