Will chicken jail help with aggressive hen

cldineley

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
eastern,nc
I have 4 chickens, 1 roo and 3 hens. Two of the hens are only 4 months old and I'm trying to put them in the big coop with the other 2 but that one hen is aggressive(she's a game hen) and the other 2 are a BR and an EE. We have a hurricane coming our way and I really need them in the main coop. They have been caged side by side for 2 months now and I even let them free range when I clean out the coops but that one hen still wont except them. The roo is trying his hardest to stop her(he's a BR)but sometimes she just to fast for him. My question is, will putting her in so called chicken jail help? They are all in the same coop right now but she is still trying to attack them when the roo isn't looking. Would putting her in the cage beside the coop for a couple of days help with this? I need to try and fix this before the hurricane gets here around saturday.

Well with mine I had to be dominant towards them. Walk up to them and put your hand on your back and push them to the ground slowly with your hand and hold them there. You can also pick them up and flip them on their backs and hold them like on your shoulder... if you see them attacking other girls go straight up to them and show them whos boss!!!

I'm having the same problem with one of my hens, she's only picking on one girl (solid white). I might try chicken jail as well.

Be safe and hope everything works out okay.

I'll let you know how it works out;) Mine is day 4 in "jail", we shall see! She is a BIG SLW and very bossy and even picks on the Roo! I do know she is quiet and content in"jail" so far!

It took me 3 nights staying all day long and not letting her see the flock to break my blue orp, now everyone is happy. She wouldn't let the SLW's roost at night so they were sleeping in the nest boxes. The funny thing is the blue orp was the newbie to the flock and after 6 weeks of her bossyness I had to jail her. Now everyone is happy and roosting every night. Can you put her in chicken jail and have her in your house while you prepare for the storm. I'm praying all is well with you and your family. My family lives in Northern Florida and I'm hoping all will be well with them too!
fl.gif

You could try these...pinless peepers.

http://www.eggcartons.com/Pinless-Peepers/productinfo/PINLESS-P/

If you check thru these forums, or even do a google search on the use of these things, everyone claims it does wonders for aggressive behaviors, stops feather plucking and can help the entire flock. I recently purchased a 10 pack for my girls as I have a couple of aggressive hens that I am keeping an eye on, and I plan on using them should the need arise when others get hurt.

I have tried chicken jail and it never worked for me. No matter how long you leave them in there, the aggressive nature of the bird always prevailed. Good luck!
smile.png

Oh, and you have GOT to check out this video. Hilarious!!

Back
Top Bottom