Will chickens eat common slugs??

Cockadoodledon't

Songster
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
Hillbilly from West Vir-ginny
Will chickens eat regular old slugs? For some odd reason, they are all over the place at my house. They have ruined my hostas this year and every morning and evening I see them. I know that some ducks will but I dont want any ducks. If chickens will...I will bring a couple of the ladies down for an afternoon "snack"

Mine will eat tiny ones, but they just look at any slugs that are bigger than my pinkie nail in disgust.

Mine chase each other around for them.
cool.png

Yes!!! We had lots of rain this year. BIG slugs were everywhere. The girls sucked them down like you wouldn't believe. They would chase eachother for a big one. Some took a few pecks to get down. Really gross, but our problem was resolved quickly.....

They make poor fish bait, did not know if chickens wold eat or not. Have seen free-range chickens fight and chase one another fora piece of dried dog dung tho. Made me wonder if normal or was because not fed properly?

I fed my girls a slug once (or I should say "tried" to feed it to them) they grabbed it and fought for it for a second thinking it was a giant worm - then dropped it and spent the next 10 minutes trying to wipe the slime off their beaks on everything including me - they actually shuddered
lol.png

Last edited:
Cockadoodledon't :

Will chickens eat regular old slugs? For some odd reason, they are all over the place at my house. They have ruined my hostas this year and every morning and evening I see them. I know that some ducks will but I dont want any ducks. If chickens will...I will bring a couple of the ladies down for an afternoon "snack"

Mine won't eat the big ones, but the ducks love them. I picked up a couple of ducklings at the feed store on impulse.....I know, my 9-year old is SUCH an enabler---but honey, he really wanted them, they were just so cute. Anyhow, the ducks hang out in the 1/4 acre fenced back yard and I haven't seen a slug all summer. We have the wet part of the field just off the back of our yard and it's usually a constant struggle to keep the slugs out of my berry and flower beds.

They were a huge mess as ducklings, but I'm really enjoying having a few running around now. They're not as hard on the gardens as the chickens and I haven't had to use any slug bait this year so I've been very happy.​

Back
Top Bottom