Will chickens eat Goat Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Squirrelgirl88, May 20, 2011.

1. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I'm getting goats this week, I already know to keep them out of the chicken feed, but will the chickens eat the goat feed? I know both parties love BOSS. Just wondering if I need to totally rethink the barn set up.

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Yup, mine do - grain is like dessert to them

3. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    They will. BUT!!!!!! Be very, very, VERY!!!! Careful if you plan on feeding your goats 'goat pellets (which is what I give mine)' because the minerals in the pellets will kill chickens as well as cows/sheep/ pigs etc. These are very good for goats though! And I suggest them if you have access!

4. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I was planning on feeding the goat pellets, goat chow, etc. in the winter when they don't have the grass and other things available. But my fear was just that - the minerals that are good for the goats are bad for the chickens. So chicken food bad for goats - Goat food bad for chickens. [​IMG] I suppose I also need to keep the minerals and baking soda away from the chicken too. crap. I need a second barn.

5. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    My chickens are forever getting into the goat pellets and it never hurt them at all. In fact, when the girls are not laying, they get the goats pelleted or coarse feed. Been doing this for years with no problem at all. I also sprinkle some of the goats loose minerals in with their pellets or crumbles for the calcium.

6. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I feed my goats/sheep stock feed & my free ranging roos eat it.

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    A chicken will ear anything that doesn't eat it first. But is it good for them, that is anyother story. No, for goat feed has salts in it, which they need.

8. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    We feed our goats noble goat....the chickens fight the goats over it and have for years....the medication has never shown any bad Side effects. The goats also eat the scratch...so do the horses

9. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Quote:If your scratch has millet in it make sure your horses dont get too much, millet damages horses kidneys and can kill them.

10. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    Quote:i second and third that one! [​IMG]

there is quite a long list of what chickens cannot eat, and i disagree with all of it. that's not to say it is good for them to eat anything as their whole diet.

some people have an ingredients list in their chicken feed longer than my arm. my chicken feed is ground corn and hog protein supplement; it's pig feed. we've been feeding this to chickens for over 30 years with no problems. we've had chickens that ate nothing but this feed (were in a large pen and after a bit had decimated any form of plant life, so other than dirt, they ate the hog feed) and supplemented with oyster shells, live long lives and produce excellent eggs.

if you want a heinz 57 ingredient list, that's fine. if you want a simple ingredient list, that is fine as well. feed whatever you want. i'm not changing my feed

Last edited: May 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by