1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will chickens help control STINK BUGS!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WVDan44, Aug 25, 2010.

1. WVDan44

WVDan44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    MD
    Does anybody know if chickens will eat stink bugs? Here in the Mid-Atlantic area, we have a plague of them in Spring and again starting about this time of year. All winter they creep out of the woodwork around the windows inside my house. I hate them. Now they are an epidemic in my garden. Please tell me that chickens will eat them. [​IMG]

2. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    well, i only have 5 girls, and minimal stink bugs here. and my girls are pretty young (19 weeks) so no experience with them on that yet. However, i remember when i was a teen and we had chickens, i had a couple pets and one of my them ate a stink bug. her beak was opened and her breath smelled like.....well, a stink bug. i'm thinking she tried it and didn't like it. but i'm 42 years old...so this was awhile ago! hope someone else has more advice.

3. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I don't know about stink bugs, but mine won't touch the "squash bug" that eats my zucchini every year [​IMG]

4. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Mine do not seem to be interested in stink bugs or squash bugs, dang it.

5. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Mine won't go near stink bugs.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Mine don't touch them either [​IMG] I've even held out a small pumpkin from my garden with the little sh*ts crawling all over, and they wanted nothing to do with them...

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Stink bugs exude a compound (cyanide based) that is distasteful to most things and stinky. It is their principle anti-predator mechanism and, as you can see, highly effective. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. ColCty

ColCty New Egg

May 7, 2011
    The stink bugs are starting to crawl on the outside (and sometimes inside) of our house, so i decided to see if our girls had any interest. Oddly enough, the brown hens gobble them down w/o hesitation while the white hens didn't seem very interested. Maybe they will get indigestion and will think twice next time, but today I must've fed them a couple dozen and they were just as hungry for last ones as the first ones.

I have to wonder if they'd give our eggs a funny taste if I feed them too many. Though I notice from the wiki that they are edible...ewwww...

From the wiki:

Known as jumiles, chumiles, chinche de monte, or xotlinilli, various stink bugs are part of Mexican cuisine. Known as bọ xít in Vietnamese, stink bugs are also found in Vietnamese cuisine.[citation needed] They are also commonly eaten in Laos, and are regarded as delicious due to their extremely strong odor.

9. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    No.

I have 70 chickens and I have at least 30 bugs on each window. Keep your windows closed, get bug spray and spray em dead from the outside.

10. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    This is very depressing. Part of the reason I got chickens was for insect control. Over the last three years or so, I have spent less and less time in my garden because of the mosquitos. I am a mosquito magnet. If there is one in a 50 mile radius in the dead of January, it will find me! (And leave my DH completely unscathed!) So far, it seems the only yummy bugs my girls go ga-ga for are cicadas. No stink bugs. No s$%#@^&* mosquitos. Just cicadas. Though it does make for a very entertaining game of keep-away!

mm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by