Will chickens help my depression?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by JohnPeel, Dec 6, 2012.

1. JohnPeel

JohnPeel Chillin' With My Peeps

I have just posted a comment on one of my threads to someone who made me think it might be a good idea to post a new thread asking others if they had found some relaxation and help with their depression from their chickens.

Will the chickens help me do you think, or am I just doomed to continue taking all kinds of meds for ever. These chickens have got their work cut out I can tell you :)

2. Well when I feel kinda down I just go outside and watch and hang with my chickens and it makes me feel alot better! I live watching them.run when there lags start flailing around you know . Well for me just looking at the chickens for a few minutes at the window makes me feel better

3. Agreed! I think that would work! Perfect remedy!

4. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    If your care giver thinks that having a pet, and pet responsibilities, will improve your condition, then "yes," a pet chicken or three will help as well as a dog or cat would. Check with your doctor.

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I find owning and caring for chickens a very relaxing and enjoyable experience. Whether they would be a substitute for medications.... only your doctor can advise you on that.

6. JohnPeel

I get them in 4 weeks, not long now, and I am looking forward to them. I worry though that I might let them down, but also feel that I would never let harm come to anything. I have made every effort to make them a home here, and they will have everything the need. I go on youtube every now and again to watch them scratching around and doing silly things. I laugh at them and they are not even my own, so I can imagine really getting a kick out of watching them as each developes its own way.

2 people like this.
  7. They sure are some funny creatures! You'll get a kick out of them if you get a lizard or frog and feed it to them and watch them run around and fight over it! Lol!

8. GatsbysGirl

GatsbysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I definitely think they could be helpful! I am so peaceful and calm when I am out with my chickens and watching them and their individual personalities and goofy behavior make me laugh! I hope they are helpful for you!

9. JohnPeel

I have watched them on videos when they scratch then look down from side to side to see if there is anything there. That makes me laugh every time I see it.

10. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My chickens ALWAYS help me feel better. It is also very comforting when you kneel down and all of them "preen" you, I have some that will jump up to perch on my shoulder! When I go out, all my sadness seems to disappear!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by