Will chickens keep deer away?

fhdogs

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Southern Vermont
In my case I wouldn't really call them pests, but I'm wondering if having chickens on my property will keep deer away?

My property losses its snow much earlier in the season than most of the area around me. Even though I'm right alongside a roadway, each spring (at least the two I've lived here) I have a large number of white tails that come down to visit at night. Last night alone I counted 6! They love searching around for the previous seasons apples that were left behind.

I'm concerned though that the addition of my coop will keep them away. I really love going out late at night with a spotlight to watch the deer. I plan to fence my run, and also my new garden, so I'm not too concerned about what the deer will do, but I really don't want to lose them.

I'm also worried because for about 3 weeks each spring the deer come down to visit every night. It seems like the 100+ old apple trees are the only food source they have until things warm up elsewhere. I'd hate to take away the food they love so much.

Any thoughts?

I dont' know anything that will keep deer away.....

We have chickens(and all kinds of birds), sheep, goats, llamas horses, pigs, rabbits, dogs and cat....They still come around
We have 4 ft. tall field fencing all around the outter perimeter of our pasture...They still run through there....I have even seen them in my barn before....

And last night on my way home...about a 1/4th of a mile up the road...there in the middle of the feild was A BEAR!!!! what was around the bear...but about 10 deer....They were eatting and grazing as if the bear wasn't even there...Although the bear didn't seem to be going after the deer either...He was just standing there watching me drive by(well I did stop and look at him which he then slowly turned around and walked away).....

So NO i don't think a chicken coop will deter deer from visiting still....

Yep, I agree that the deer won't be bothered by the chickens at all....the deer run with the wild turkeys here!

~ bigzio

Nah and they'll find any discarded layer pellets, too!
lol.png

Thanks everyone! I was starting to get concerned. Only 14 more days until I can start construction. So much planning to do in the mean time.

Back
Top Bottom