Will chickens learn to drink from nipple

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GoAngels, Sep 16, 2010.

1. GoAngels

GoAngels Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2010
    Southern California
    Up until a few days ago, I was using a chick waterer for my 16 week old pullets. I got tired of them kicking pine shavings in the water EVERY day, so I took that out and started using a small animal / rabbit type waterer. In the two days I've had it installed, I've only seen one of them use it and they didn't get very much. The water level also hasn't gone down very much and every time I let them out, they head straight for the dog water bowl.

Should I just leave it up and hope they learn to use it or start using the more traditional nipple setup?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I've heard you have to take other types of water away and they will use it. I guess they don't prefer it.

3. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    So far, my chickens have adjusted pretty well to the nipple waterers. I was a bit worried about switching my older ones over to them since they were accustomed to the regular waterers. They caught on pretty quickly though. I just have to mention also, not long after introducing them to my older group, I saw one of the hens testing out the new nipple waterers. She was literally going down the line from one nipple to the next, as if she were expecting something different from each of them. Guess she thought is was like a fountain drink machine or something! I thought it was pretty cute at the time, but was also excited that she figured them out!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm not sure how they'll take to one of those "small animal" waterers, because it involves pecking at the ball to push it back for the water.

Poultry nipple waterers are designed for chickens; they peck at the metal bit that hangs down, which moves the interior ball valve to let a drop of water out, which runs down the metal peg they have pecked. They learn to use that very quickly.

It does need to be hung high enough for them to reach up to peck at it, not low down at their backs.

5. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    Quote:I agree, the rabbit waterer would be a problem for them. I have nipples too (wait a minute...that didn't sound right) and they're fabulous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by