Will chickens stay within eyesight of their coop?

Connie Shane

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2020
Hi all. Newbie here lol! So i know my geese stay within eyesight of home. Will chickens stay within eyesight of their coop when free ranging the acreage?

If you have a small yard possibly. But if you have many acres they will eventually venture off further with each day of gained courage.
Although even if you have a small yard they may still try to go to your neighbor’s yard eventually.
But this is if you let them free range 24/7

As always every flock is different 😊

If you have a small yard possibly. But if you have many acres they will eventually venture off further with each day of gained courage.
Although even if you have a small yard they may still try to go to your neighbor’s yard eventually.
But this is if you let them free range 24/7

As always every flock is different 😊
Thank you. They will free range from about 9am to dusk everyday. Same as my ducks and geese.

It also depends if they have good foraging nearby,good dust bathing and good hiding places. And it also depends on the breed. They will all eventually stray further but still come home to eat and at night. I have Easter Eggers and they are scared easily so good hiding places like bushes and thickets are on the top of the list of their needs. They also like to fly for coverage, if they can find all the things I just mentioned, they pretty much stay near by. They also like to be around people, so if I'm outside, they always stay near me.

Gosh, my chickens are forever sneaking under my privacy fence and going on adventures. The Silkies stay in the yard, but all the standards apparently think “the grass is greener” on the other side of the fence!

Back
Top Bottom