Will chicks be ok with a ramp?

Hi. I was unable to do the ramp today because I am sick but I was wondering would it be to make the ramp tomorrow that is when the goes go in to lock down and I was wondering if it would disturb her to much. Thank you.

Err on making that ramp the gentlest angle you can achieve and as wide as possible. Mine were mostly planks with offcuts as crossbars for better footing, which they treated like stairs. I did not start ramp training my silkie till she left the brooder, but she had much more trouble with it than my others. I had two ramps and she would never use the steeper of the two and had difficulty with the other. It took ages to get her using it.

Silkies think of themselves as ground birds, so learning to use a ramp is hard for them. It doesn't look like yours will be as intense a ramp as mine (I had a raised coop), but my silkie also hatched chicks in the coop and brought them down (non-silkie chicks).

Falling off from height or being knocked off by momma or other birds can definitely cause injury. The chicks could navigate the ramp, but the other birds were a hazard, so just be mindful of this too.

There are not other birds in her area i Closed it off. im going to make sides. The reason I want to make one is if the chicks hatch and she goes off while I’m not here and they fall. Will try and make it was chick Safe as possible its quite a wide ramp and it will have lots of grip. I have tried to make as non steap as possible. Thanks for the advice. i Have put eggs under a lohmann brown hen and I’m going to make them once they hatch.

There are not other birds in her area i Closed it off. im going to make sides. The reason I want to make one is if the chicks hatch and she goes off while I’m not here and they fall. Will try and make it was chick Safe as possible its quite a wide ramp and it will have lots of grip. I have tried to make as non steap as possible. Thanks for the advice. i Have put eggs under a lohmann brown hen and I’m going to make them once they hatch.
If it ends up a bit steep, you can always pop a brick offcut under the end to ease it a bit. They won't have trouble with a little step down.

What breed's the mum? I've only ever had my silkie do any hatching and she's quite a slow and patient mum. Prolly cause she has a hard time seeing where she's going half the time.

Just put some chick feed in with her and close the nestbox off with a piece of chicken wire. This way you will be there and can help the chicks down when she gets off the nest.

But in any case, prepare a nestbox on the ground for them and cover the wired ground with cardboard or similar, or else the chicks might fall through or get hurt.

Good luck!

If it ends up a bit steep, you can always pop a brick offcut under the end to ease it a bit. They won't have trouble with a little step down.

What breed's the mum? I've only ever had my silkie do any hatching and she's quite a slow and patient mum. Prolly cause she has a hard time seeing where she's going half the time.
The moms a lohmann brown hen. She soo broody and has been even more puffy as the time comes. Thats a good idea thanks.
Just put some chick feed in with her and close the nestbox off with a piece of chicken wire. This way you will be there and can help the chicks down when she gets off the nest.

But in any case, prepare a nestbox on the ground for them and cover the wired ground with cardboard or similar, or else the chicks might fall through or get hurt.

Good luck!
The nesting box’s a quite small, but that would work if i closed off two but then I’ll have to turn the nesting box. I’m also worried that she might knock water on to the eggs or babies. I’m going To move them after they hatch. I could try and move her down but it’s lockdown today and I’m worried I’ll d the eggs. I’ll look if there space for food and water. Will she need water in there?I’ll see what I can do thanks.

anther idea I had was make a little tunnel put food and water in and raise so it’s the hight of the nesting box. Thank you both for the advice very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom