Will crossed beak get worse?

geojane42

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
I have a Chantecler chick with a crossed beak. Compared to what i've seen online, it looks pretty minor but I'm wondering if it'll get get worse as she grows. I tried to take a better pic but my camera batteries just died. You can see the slight crossing in this one though. She's the white chick. Do you think I should file it? She's eating and drinking just fine. Thx!

DSCF1062.jpg

I have a friend who has a buff orp who has a beak that is completely twisted. They call her....Twister. She's done fine for 18 months! I don't know if the twisting has increased, though.

I don't know the answer, but I am hoping to find out because one of my bantams have a twisted beak, it is about 2 weeks old and seems to eat ok, but it is much slower than the others and it doesn't look as spry as the others....I hope it can continue to do well...I would hate to kill it, but if I have to I have to..end of dicussion.

I have a 9 week old EE with a cross and hers is worse, really bad actually but if I keep the feed dish and water full, at least once a day she does fine, she is as big as her flock mates and no one seems to pick on her.as long as you don't plan on breeding her she should do OK. I have read posts of others who have kept theres and 2 yrs. down the road they are still doing OK

Hate to say it, but it probably will get worse as she/he gets older. At 3 weeks or so, I first notice a slight misalignment of our EE's beak. A year later, her bottom beak is completely off to one side. She has grown well though, and lays lovely green/blue eggs. She is actually bigger than her sister! She doesn't free range well, or eat scratch or treats well, but she does great in a deep feeder we made out of a 5 gallon bucket and a planter base. We feed Purina Layena pellets, though I've heard some people who have crooked beak birds feel theirs do better on crumbles. You'll just have to see how yours does as it grows. Good luck!

Not all cross beaked chicks hatch that way. I had a Silkie chick that hatched with a perfectly formed beak but began crossing at about two weeks of age. It continues to get worse as she gets older. I am getting soft in my old age but just do not have the heart to dispose of her. She HAD the potential to be a show bird but now I cannot even think of breeding her.

I have a silkie that started out just fine when I got her and at about 6 weeks old, I noticed a cross beak about like the one you have. Just a slight cross. She ate and drank fine. Then a couple weeks later, her beak was fine again! I have no idea what the deal was. I wonder if she pecked at something wrong and made it cross temporarily.
I would wait and watch if its just a slight cross, just in case you get lucky like I did!

I had an arcana that had a slight cross when it was young and at 2 months was completely crossed . I had a hard time looking at her, she looked so wierd. She was the same size as the others when killed by predators.

Back
Top Bottom