Will dirty water hurt my chickens?

Quote:
And a chicken who has been in the dirt, drinking 'questionable' water (to humans), eating bugs, picking around poop and all sorts of other things will have an immune system that smacks Botulism and many other diseases in the mouth, and doesn't even break a sweat. By keeping them sterile and sanitized they never have the ability to gain, let alone develop and aggressive immune system that walks right through, the bad stuff. Heck, working cows the past 10 years I have probably eaten 10 lbs of cow poop straight from the chute, off the tails, kicked from the ground, you name it. Still warm, wet and full of all that terrible, horrific, killer bacteria, pathogens, and viruses. Stomach ace? sure once or twice, but other than that, just green teeth and a really, really bad taste in my mouth. Why? because we don't use bleach, I don't always have a chance to wash my hands before I eat, I drink straight out of the hose, eat vegetables straight out of the garden just brushed off not washed, I swim in the river, and work in the dirt. When I get a fever, I wrap up in a blanket and sweat it out the old fashioned way, I haven't had a drug of any kind for the better part of 10 years.

Our chickens, cows, dogs, cats and boys are basically the same.

Do we provide fresh water, shelter, and fresh food for the chickens? Of course, do we sterilize and sanitize the buckets, waterers, coop, floor, feed dishes, roosts and nest boxes, absolutely not. Do we dunk their heads in fresh cow patties? although sometimes I would like to, no.

Point is, you will never get rid of bacteria, viruses, pathogens and algae. So embrace them and do the next best thing to ensure the birds are happy and healthy, give them the ability to generate an aggressive and strong immune system so they can fight off, what we can never hope to kill or protect them from.

Just my opinion though.

Quote:
And a chicken who has been in the dirt, drinking 'questionable' water (to humans), eating bugs, picking around poop and all sorts of other things will have an immune system that smacks Botulism and many other diseases in the mouth, and doesn't even break a sweat. By keeping them sterile and sanitized they never have the ability to gain, let alone develop and aggressive immune system that walks right through, the bad stuff. Heck, working cows the past 10 years I have probably eaten 10 lbs of cow poop straight from the chute, off the tails, kicked from the ground, you name it. Still warm, wet and full of all that terrible, horrific, killer bacteria, pathogens, and viruses. Stomach ace? sure once or twice, but other than that, just green teeth and a really, really bad taste in my mouth. Why? because we don't use bleach, I don't always have a chance to wash my hands before I eat, I drink straight out of the hose, eat vegetables straight out of the garden just brushed off not washed, I swim in the river, and work in the dirt. When I get a fever, I wrap up in a blanket and sweat it out the old fashioned way, I haven't had a drug of any kind for the better part of 10 years.

Our chickens, cows, dogs, cats and boys are basically the same.

Do we provide fresh water, shelter, and fresh food for the chickens? Of course, do we sterilize and sanitize the buckets, waterers, coop, floor, feed dishes, roosts and nest boxes, absolutely not. Do we dunk their heads in fresh cow patties? although sometimes I would like to, no.

Point is, you will never get rid of bacteria, viruses, pathogens and algae. So embrace them and do the next best thing to ensure the birds are happy and healthy, give them the ability to generate an aggressive and strong immune system so they can fight off, what we can never hope to kill or protect them from.

Just my opinion though.

Yes, everyone will have their own opinion on what's best for their animals and the OP will decide what is best for her and her chickens.

Quote:
I'll bet our bacteria, pathogens and viruses, etc. here in NJ can smack your WY stuff down in a NY minute! Heck, even our "fresh" water ain't fresh!
gig.gif

Quote:
I'll bet our bacteria, pathogens and viruses, etc. here in NJ can smack your WY stuff down in a NY minute! Heck, even our "fresh" water ain't fresh!
gig.gif

In a very funny way this was/is a very serious comment.

There are several reasons to quarantine new chickens: 1)The new birds may have a disease and 2)By being on the place though in another pen it gives the new birds a chance to adjust and be ready for what is possible the fight of their life.

The germs (good generic word that covers about everything you can't see) on your place that your birds have developed immunity too may be very different from those the new birds were around as chicks. Thus, now as adult they meet these new germs and it is an internal WAR.

This is the reason that when new birds are introduced to a flock even though healthy there can be deaths that occur both with the original flock and in the new comers.

I know this was off subject, but the post led to it in a natural way.

Chickens don't have good water retention capability and need to drink frequently. Keep the water clean at all times so they are encouraged to drink. Lots of water is also essential to good egg production as eggs are 80% water.
If you keep the water clean, you'll have happy, healthy, productive birds.
smile.png

Quote:
gig.gif

In a very funny way this was/is a very serious comment.

There are several reasons to quarantine new chickens: 1)The new birds may have a disease and 2)By being on the place though in another pen it gives the new birds a chance to adjust and be ready for what is possible the fight of their life.

The germs (good generic word that covers about everything you can't see) on your place that your birds have developed immunity too may be very different from those the new birds were around as chicks. Thus, now as adult they meet these new germs and it is an internal WAR.

This is the reason that when new birds are introduced to a flock even though healthy there can be deaths that occur both with the original flock and in the new comers.

I know this was off subject, but the post led to it in a natural way.

Sounds like there is no need to quarantine newly acquired birds because dirty water, poo and bugs will SMACK anything that comes their way to include MG, respiratory problems and any other disease that has killed so many birds in existing flocks when people failed to quarantine those newly acquired birds.

Back
Top Bottom