Will domestic turkeys leave with wild turkeys?

MVchickens

Songster
10 Years
Dec 8, 2010
Martha's Vineyard MA
I know this question has been asked a lot, but I could not find any definitive answers in my search of threads. Will domestic turkeys walk off with the flocks of feral or "wild" turkeys that pass through? We often have flocks of 30+ turkeys of mixed heritage (some look wild, some have coloring of bourbon red, some oddballs) that roam widely in the neighborhood late summer through early spring. The chickens have always held their ground through the fence and never interacted with the turkeys, but I am wondering if my Midget Whites will see family and take off with them? The yard has 8ft deer fencing around it, but I know the feral and would assume the domestics could easily clear it. I plan on using poultry net to keep the turkeys rotating certain areas of the yard, but I could house them in a hoop house come fall if they might take off?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! This is my first attempt at raising turkeys, though I have had lots of other game-birds, ducks, and chickens prior. Thanks!

I know this question has been asked a lot, but I could not find any definitive answers in my search of threads. Will domestic turkeys walk off with the flocks of feral or "wild" turkeys that pass through? We often have flocks of 30+ turkeys of mixed heritage (some look wild, some have coloring of bourbon red, some oddballs) that roam widely in the neighborhood late summer through early spring. The chickens have always held their ground through the fence and never interacted with the turkeys, but I am wondering if my Midget Whites will see family and take off with them? The yard has 8ft deer fencing around it, but I know the feral and would assume the domestics could easily clear it. I plan on using poultry net to keep the turkeys rotating certain areas of the yard, but I could house them in a hoop house come fall if they might take off?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! This is my first attempt at raising turkeys, though I have had lots of other game-birds, ducks, and chickens prior. Thanks!
It totally depends on the individual turkey. Some domestic turkeys do go feral and some wild turkeys at least temporarily join the domestics.

Thanks for the input! I think Ill plan on playing it safe and moving them to the hoop house come late summer. For future reference would broad breasted birds be less likely to take off? I guess they wouldn't even be able to get past the deer fence in the first place.

Thanks for the input! I think Ill plan on playing it safe and moving them to the hoop house come late summer. For future reference would broad breasted birds be less likely to take off? I guess they wouldn't even be able to get past the deer fence in the first place.
You would be surprised what BBs can get over. When they are young they fly very well. As they gain weight they become more sedentary but can still jump a lot higher than a person would expect.

Back
Top Bottom