Will doves get along with chickens?

nelliebean

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Hello ~

I don't have my peeps yet but was wondering if chickens and doves can live together?

My chicken run is 80 feet long and 14 feet deep. The top is covered with chicken wire.

The coop is actually a build over of an 6.5x6.5 shed with an A- frame roof.

I really am enjoying this site!

Quote:
Welcome
welcome-byc.gif

I would be inclined to say yes because I used to keep Doves in with parakeets and finches. Doves are very peaciful and have different nesting needs. But I dont know if there are other problems with mixing with chickens. I used to feed using a regular hanging wild bird feeder.

Last edited:
I have a covered run and a pop door for the chickens to leave the run and free range. Sometimes a dove finds its way into the chicken yard and if the girls can catch it on the ground, they will kill it and eat it.
sickbyc.gif
It has happened a few times. Not as often as it would if I didn't shoo the doves out the open people door when I find them in the run.
wee.gif

i regularly have wild doves stroll into the coop to help themselves to the chickens' food. my hens let them and won't go near the feeder with the dove on it. drives me crazy. i'd prefer they attacked.

Quote:
Those are some serious chickens! I'd better not take the chance. Thanks for your response.

My girls have somehow decided to share their space with the small grey doves believe it or not! It's rats they don't want hanging around. Sienna has killed 3 rats single-wingedly.
barnie.gif
The chaos is unbelievable.

I think it's a personal choice hehe.

Back
Top Bottom