Will drakes attack and try to kill other drakes?

kaumlauf

Songster
Nov 2, 2010
Cambridge Springs, PA
Hi Folks, I can bet this question comes up a lot. Will mallard drakes attack and kill other mallard drakes? My flock has 4 males and 2 females. Ratio of boys to girls too high?

CaliFarmsAR

Crowing
Apr 26, 2019
Hi Folks, I can bet this question comes up a lot. Will mallard drakes attack and kill other mallard drakes? My flock has 4 males and 2 females. Ratio of boys to girls too high?
Yes! They need 5-6 females per drake!

Trisseh

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Jun 21, 2019
NW Ontario, Canada
The drakes will fight over the girls but the real losers will be those poor girls! Drakes will overmate the females in a ratio like that and may even kill them in their ministrations. Males that are raised together may get along better, although that’s still not always the case. If you’re planning on keeping everyone, separate out all the drakes, into a “bachelor” flock, or if not keeping everyone, rehome 3 or all of the drakes, or get a LOT more females. Even then, some drakes have their favorites and one hen will be overmated even with an abundance of ladies.

Duck mommy 2019

Crowing
Apr 1, 2019
rehome the girls. they’ll be best friends without girls, but kill each other and the girls if not separated

kaumlauf

Songster
Nov 2, 2010
Cambridge Springs, PA
The drakes will fight over the girls but the real losers will be those poor girls! Drakes will overmate the females in a ratio like that and may even kill them in their ministrations. Males that are raised together may get along better, although that’s still not always the case. If you’re planning on keeping everyone, separate out all the drakes, into a “bachelor” flock, or if not keeping everyone, rehome 3 or all of the drakes, or get a LOT more females. Even then, some drakes have their favorites and one hen will be overmated even with an abundance of ladies.
I have re-homed them all, thank you.

Top Bottom