Will drakes attack and try to kill other drakes?

kaumlauf

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Cambridge Springs, PA
Hi Folks, I can bet this question comes up a lot. Will mallard drakes attack and kill other mallard drakes? My flock has 4 males and 2 females. Ratio of boys to girls too high?

The drakes will fight over the girls but the real losers will be those poor girls! Drakes will overmate the females in a ratio like that and may even kill them in their ministrations. Males that are raised together may get along better, although that’s still not always the case. If you’re planning on keeping everyone, separate out all the drakes, into a “bachelor” flock, or if not keeping everyone, rehome 3 or all of the drakes, or get a LOT more females. Even then, some drakes have their favorites and one hen will be overmated even with an abundance of ladies.

The drakes will fight over the girls but the real losers will be those poor girls! Drakes will overmate the females in a ratio like that and may even kill them in their ministrations. Males that are raised together may get along better, although that’s still not always the case. If you’re planning on keeping everyone, separate out all the drakes, into a “bachelor” flock, or if not keeping everyone, rehome 3 or all of the drakes, or get a LOT more females. Even then, some drakes have their favorites and one hen will be overmated even with an abundance of ladies.
I have re-homed them all, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom