Will Ducks Go Up a Ramp?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sab, Jul 5, 2011.

1. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    We're building a coop for 5 chickens and 1 Pekin Duck. Will the duck use the ramp? So far, the chickens have wondered up the ramp during this construction phase, but Duck-Duck hasn't tried. Will I have to train her or will I be wasting my time and should I plan on something outside for her @ night in the run?

Thanks!

2. Totes Quackers

Totes Quackers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Melbourne
    My duck doesn't use the ramp, it's quite a steep incline tho. I converted under the coop into a fully enclosed bed for the duck. At night the chooks go up into their coop and my quacker goes underneath!
    [​IMG]

3. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    some do and some dont, it is all about their preference

4. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    If it's not too steep most will. Mine do.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    make sure the ramp is at least twice the width of the duck- and that you provide traction and a low slope ( but not at the expense of making it way too long ) to the ramp and you will have more chance of the duck using it.

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Mine did not like a low incline ramp. But they will do stairs like nobody's business.

7. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    mine dont bother with a ramp, they just jump up at the hole until they they get(!) (((scovies))

8. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Mine use them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Mine go up one that is at a 45 degree angle, and 3ft high. They walk up it at night, but they fly out of it in the morning. It took us almost 3 weeks of going out there every night, picking them up, and putting them in the coop before they stated using it.

10. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:How do you clean that out? I have been looking for someway to put the ducks in with the chickens. If you have pictures I would love if you could pm them to me. So I'm not taking over this post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by