will ducks lay eggs

samandmike

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
my question is will ducks lay eggs with no male? if not will the fertilized eggs hatch if the egg gets cold? we found first duck egg today. dont know if we have a male or not. have seen what lookes like mating but thay all look the same.no curled drake feathers on tail yet.thay are about 9 months old

What breeds are they? If they quack then they are a female.

Forgot to answer your question
hide.gif
They will lay eggs without a male duck the eggs just won't be fertile.

Last edited:
pekin. are thay old enough to have drake feathers or will that come later? i cant catch them to see if one has black feather.well i can but thay are shy of people.and i dont want to freek them out.

Hens produce unfertile eggs. You must have a drake, of course to fertilize them. Mine our producing eggs, but I don't believe there is any mating going on yet.

thanks for info. do you think the eggs will hatch if fertil but got cold as refridg? how old for drake feather?

1:my question is will ducks lay eggs with no male? Ducks will lay eggs with out a male.

2: will the fertilized eggs hatch if the egg gets cold?
If the eggs get cold, say, refrigerator temperatures, they will not hatch. If it was just out side, and it's fairly warm, then it will hatch if it is incubated soon enough.

You can also tell gender by the way they sound. Drakes have a raspier voice.

Hens produce unfertile eggs. You must have a drake, of course to fertilize them. Mine our producing eggs, but I don't believe there is any mating going on yet.
mine laid an egg today she is a single duck so what can i do with the eggs??

Back
Top Bottom