Will ducks start laying in winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BiggBen, Sep 7, 2019.

1. KCNC06

KCNC06 Songster

Sep 19, 2009
    Central NC
    I think "winter" is a tricky. It seems like different people define winter differently. And it depends on where you live. In upstate NY, I grew up thinking Thanksgiving was in the winter. (We usually had snow by Halloween!) Now in NC, by the time Christmas passes I say we're well on our way to spring. Daffodils usually bloom by mid-late January.

2. Daphne_loves_mealworms

Daphne_loves_mealworms Crowing

May 13, 2018
    Vermont
    My early June babies from last year waited until the end of March, beginning of April to lay. I live at a decently high altitude in northern Vermont and I do not use artificial light. I kind of liked that they waited as I have this idea, with no evidence to support it, that it was good for their bodies to be able to mature for a longer period before taking on the stress of laying. I’m hoping that it will make them hardier long-term. :idunno

quackiemama and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Birds of a Feather

I like that about Muscovy they haven’t been developed by humans so they have a natural maturing cycle. I do think it helps to keep them from having reproductive issues Mallard derived females can have because they are developed to mature fast and produce so many eggs in their life time. All my Muscovy females have been 8-9 months old before they started to lay.

4. quackiemama

quackiemama Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    My runners laid very consistently through their first winter last year but slowed way down in the spring and through the summer. They have picked up the pace again in the past couple of weeks since it has started to cool down a bit.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. FortCluck

FortCluck Songster

Sep 9, 2019
    I'm glad I read this... Good information

Miss Lydia and quackiemama like this.
  6. quackiemama

quackiemama Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    This whole forum is full of good information and people! :welcome

Miss Lydia likes this.