Will egg production dwindle when...?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happyhens120, Sep 5, 2011.

1. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    I just separated my pen of 8 girls two days ago after realizing that they probably did not have enough coop space for the 8 of them plus their boyfriend. I was getting about 5 eggs daily from the 8 girls, so another reason I separated them was to see who was laying (and laying what), and who wasn't. Yesterday (the day after the separation), I got only 4 eggs, but I figured it was because of stress and getting used to the new coop.

Today when I checked the eggs, I got 8! [​IMG] I was wondering if being in too small a coop could cut down on egg production? They seem much more laid back today and used to their new surroundings. Has anyone ever experienced something like this? Maybe it's just my girls adjusting? I would be very happy to get 8 eggs daily from my 8 girls. I'm hoping the change will make a difference! [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If they were stressed due to lack of space, it could have affected their laying. But I wouldn't expect 8 eggs a day.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Don't get used to it! I have 8 girls... OCCASIONALLY I'll get 8 eggs [​IMG] .. like once a month. Usually it's 5-7 [​IMG] . The other day only 3 [​IMG] . Chickens are wierd [​IMG] . But I love them.... [​IMG]

Am in a smilie mood today...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by