Will eggs still hatch? Broody Hen Day 22

Cayden05

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
So my broody hen was sitting on 6 eggs out of the 6, 4 hatched. This was sometime in the middle of last night. Is there a possibility for the other 2 to still hatch? Today is Day 22. Will she abandon the nest to go feed the other chicks?

If they don't hatch by day 23 I pull them. The hen will generally leave the nest 2 days after the first chick hatches. Some hens stay on the nest longer if feed is close.

So my broody hen was sitting on 6 eggs out of the 6, 4 hatched. This was sometime in the middle of last night. Is there a possibility for the other 2 to still hatch? Today is Day 22. Will she abandon the nest to go feed the other chicks?
Day twenty-two is just one day off. While they might not hatch, variations by that amount are pretty normal. You might want to try candling them. The hen will normally continue to set on eggs that are late a day or two. If they still don't hatch, she'll have to abandon them to brood the chicks.

Day twenty-two is just one day off. While they might not hatch, variations by that amount are pretty normal. You might want to try candling them. The hen will normally continue to set on eggs that are late a day or two. If they still don't hatch, she'll have to abandon them to brood the chicks.

I just candled the 2 eggs and they are pretty developed but no signs of internal or external pipping. Does this mean they won’t hatch?

Back
Top Bottom