Will Free Rangers Magically return @ Sunset???

Mine always return but never really leave, they stay close either in the horse paddocks and somewhere on the property. Right now is major hawk time, very little cover here with no leaves on the trees and snow on the ground they are sitting chickens. I do let them out in the winter from time to time but mostly they stay in their pen. They so hate being in there when they are used to free-ranging but I have lost to many to hawks every winter and it is to emtional! The reason they were all hiding in the brush is because something was after them.

I think my husband and I figured out the feral cats living on the acreage next to ours probably got them. I have caught 5 feral cats before and they were put down at the pound. (I know it's horrible, but I do take care of my animals and the feral ones really live a horrible life. I even called PETA & they said I did the right thing)
So anyway, I am on my way to building a big enclosed pen attached to their coop. I dont want to lose anymore and it was a very stressful day.

I have a 5 ft (in some places 4ft,so its easier to cross) welded wire fence and chicken wire fence rigged and pieced togather that attaches to the barn and goes around and gives them approx 80 yds x 50 yds of range and then comes back to the door of the barn.where when the doors closed i can walk right in to the fenced area but when the door is open i attach the door to the fence. anyway...in the morning i let them out they free range on most days.Predators dont come around to much anymore..i take care of them..thanks to the depredation order.if they do.i see their tracks and get ready for them.. ohh, yeah mine always come back to theyre barn..at night,but its good that they know were home is before you expect the to come home.

but i dont let mine free range untill they are about 3 months or so..because they seem to find predators when theyre young!!lol but i try to let them out a few times a week if its warm.

I live in the woods,and before i had a fence up they would go way back in the hills back by the creek,and i knew they were calling in coyotes better than i could with calls.LOL so i put an end to that...lost several to them wandering into the woods.

Your chickens will get used to the coop as being a safe place,every animal sleeps were they feel safest.and they will always comeback unless something bad has happend...during the midday mine usually just stay in the barn and shuffle across the floor,sometimes i see them havvin dust bathing races on who can shuffle the fastes and get the the barn door the fastest,who evers last lays a rotten egg!lol i just crack up laughing at them..

uhh what was the question agian... im just ramblin...
wink.png

My girls first started free ranging when they were 3-4 months old. At first I didn't let them out everyday, only when we were home. Now, I allow them out of the coop all day as long as the weather cooperates (which in the past month... hasn't been much!)

Our coop is within 20 feet of our garage and partially covered by a large willow tree. Within 20 feet of the coop are two huge pine trees which is where the ladies run to in case of danger. (its also their favorite place to nap outside)

In the past 6 months (when they first started ranging) I haven't lost any of them. They don't stray further than 60 - 100 feet from the coop, though. They always come home to the coop at dusk. Once the sun goes down I go inside, take a head count and close them up for the night.

The hardest thing for me right now has been keeping them cooped up all the time because of the cold and snow (they aren't happy about it, either). They won't go out into the snow, especially when its up to a foot deep. I will let them out if its cold (down to 10 degrees), as long as its not too windy.

Chickens always return to the feeder. Some of mine are just rebels and hate to come back into the house at night. They sleep in the rafters in the bard, where they are safe. The only issue is I'm probably losing some eggs because they're hiding them. During peak egg production in the Summer, I tend to use the portable electric netting to keep them all in (so not to lose too many eggs). During the drab winters, though, I usually just let them out to free range. It cuts down on the amount of mud and I have to move their shelter less often.

i used to chase mine every night. one night i forgot about them until late into the night. they were all in the coop, and i'll never chase them again

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom