Will Geese hatch and raise other types of birds

You can, and sometimes geese can successfully incubate and raise ducklings. Other times especially if the goose is large, heavy, and clumsy she may crush the duck eggs.

My geese raise ducks. I have never had them successfully hatch any though. Its a bit late in the season here to have them really mother anything now.
I was just thinking about the future.

Marvun22 what kind of geese do u have? I have sebastopols,white chinese and african n canadian(1)total I have is 20
I have 1 pair of African.

You can, and sometimes geese can successfully incubate and raise ducklings. Other times especially if the goose is large, heavy, and clumsy she may crush the duck eggs.
Well at least its not my male, he is clumsy.

What I haven found works well is to hatch inside and then introduce a big group of babies to the geese when they are a little more " squish-proof". This year one of my ganders raised 19 geese and ducks together without losing a single one. They were all hatched inside and a few days diffference in them. His mate was setting on one dud egg and eventually joined him. The ducks will mature and leave the group on their own, but the juvenile geese stay with the adults until next breeding season.

My geese were a female bonded pair. Since the eggs weren't ever going to be fertile I would give them duck eggs. They would take turns on the nest and standing guard, but normally Abigail would be mom. They loved to have babies and would even steal babies from the duck mommies.

Can anyone help me I have 3 geese - 2 are laying eggs but not staying on the nest after laying the egg they do not return till the next day to relay another egg (is this normal) or do they only sit after they have laid all the eggs they are going to lay - I have yet to see the 3rd lay an egg or display any mating activity and nor does it hang around protecting the nest or the laying birds so I am unsure of its gender. I am told from photos that they are 2 Pomeranians and 1 Embden and its the Embden and 1 Pomeranium that are laying, they are using the same nest and I would like to know more about the whole egg laying process and if I have a boy one what is the process for letting them hatch goslings and at the moment I am collecting the eggs as I don't want them to be useless if they are all female and because they leave the egg all day and over night I figured that they would not hatch anyway as they are not being sat on - can anyone enlighten me on the process or refer me I an informative site as all the ones I have found have left me a lot confused ? Thanks in advance
2764.png

Female lay a full clutch of eggs before they ever start sitting on them. So not sitting on the is ok. Se if they would sit on one eggs at a time if they are fertile then they would not develop all at the same time. And you want all goslings to hatch at the same time because if the goose gets goslings and there are more eggs that need to be sat on longer she will kick them out of the nest and only take care of the ones that hatched and abundant the other still developing.
So that is why they lay and do not sit on them until she has what she feels is enough eggs to sit on. Hope this helps you.

What I haven found works well is to hatch inside and then introduce a big group of babies to the geese when they are a little more " squish-proof". This year one of my ganders raised 19 geese and ducks together without losing a single one. They were all hatched inside and a few days diffference in them. His mate was setting on one dud egg and eventually joined him. The ducks will mature and leave the group on their own, but the juvenile geese stay with the adults until next breeding season.
My gander has tried to adopt every clutch of ducklings my domestic ducks have hatched, but with a definite preference for ducklings hatched by white ducks (dunno if that is anything to do with him being a white gander). He’s shown little to no interest in wild mallard ducklings though. Anyway I am pretty sure if u gave him any ducklings between newly hatched and a couple of weeks old he would adopt them and raise them so if female geese are the same, then I definitely agree that u can give them ducklings after they hatch.... this spring Goosey, my gander, finally had a goose girlfriend (though he has still kept his pekin duck ‘wife’ as well). Anyway will be interesting to see what happens there. I imagine if most geese are as broody and loyal as my gander that they would happily incubate duck eggs, and raise the ducklings, but I would definitely be concerned about them accidentally crushing thee eggs or ducklings

Back
Top Bottom