Will Geese Kill Skunks And Other Preditors

TheDuckHerder1

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
We have a skunk hanging around in our neighbor hood and he is probably going after my ducks eggs. They just started laying so there all around the yard. So will a goose kill it because there protective.

I''m sure it's possible saying that I've heard of a rooster killing a weasel. Your only risk is that the goose will become aggressive to people (especially breeding season) Maybe a heavy goose? I can see a Toulouse being strong enough. The Egyptian goose, (In oregon it's dubbed illegal to own because it's surprisingly the strongest goose and the most aggressive) But you might need to try other ways of getting rid of it instead of risking a birds safety. Do you think live trapping would work as an alternative?

I'd say a goose/gander would only run off a skunk or discourage it. And in my experience geese are only protective when the area that they are nesting in is disturbed, they don't seem to care about other birds welfare, they are only effective when the birds you are trying to protect live within the geese territory. And with geese strength in numbers is also key.

I have had geese and still had skunks.
The gander I had was wonderful in protecting the ducks but the raccoons and skunks still got the eggs and an occasional duck.
We also had a fox issue and I am sure coyotes came through as well.

We had a bad hail storm that drove the ducks and geese out of the shelter. The gander stood as close to the fence post blocking some of the hail as he could and spread his wings while the ducks and female goose hid below his wings. He took quite a beating for them.

He would not however take on a predator even when it went after the goose eggs.

I'd say a goose/gander would only run off a skunk or discourage it. And in my experience geese are only protective when the area that they are nesting in is disturbed, they don't seem to care about other birds welfare, they are only effective when the birds you are trying to protect live within the geese territory. And with geese strength in numbers is also key.
My geese are pretty ornery all year... and when there are birds of prey around, the ducks pretty much run over and stand next to them - they're a bit of paper tigers though. They've managed to put the fear into the dog, but I think if they ever cornered him it'd be a mess, and not in their favor.

I don't think they've got the equipment to really kill any sort of predator.

Back
Top Bottom