Will hatching duck eggs/goose eggs cause the duck or goose to imprint

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wistlindixie, Mar 6, 2011.

1. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Songster

Feb 27, 2011
    Just curious. I may be totally making this us in my mind but seems like I have heard this somewhere? Any experience to share?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Geese are more likely to imprint.... and it will work better in smaller numbers. But there is a lot of truth to them thinking the first thing they see is their mother.

Some ducklings or goslings are just a bit more independent than others- and although they will follow you around they are not so demanding of your attention ALL the time.

In larger groups they will bond to each other rather than a person. Take out out of a box of ten and it will want to get back in with the others if it is in hearing range of them.

But there is nothing cuter than a group of goslings following your every step and crying out for you if they are more than a metre away from you.

3. Yesterday I read that a breeder uses a Turkey to rear his ducks. He says that they are more alert and protective than the mother ducks. It was pretty funny to see a turkey being followed by a bunch of ducks.

4. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Songster

Feb 27, 2011
    Quote:Love it! I can just picture it in my head.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: