Will He Crow A Lot? (Silkie Cockerel)

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Our Lavender boy Spiky Mikey has crowed a couple times after he first crowed at 5 weeks old. He's 10 weeks old now and doesn't really crow anymore.
He's currently in a flock of 4 that consists of 3 older female chicks and they seem to pick on him if he's near their favorite spot so mostly he stays away from them but he will come near them if I'm in the yard with them. He likes me a lot and loves to follow me around the chick yard but won't let me pick him up.
I'm planning on moving him to the older flock once he's big enough. They're separated by a fence so its 'see but no touch'

I was wondering if this 'beating' by the others would cause him to stop crowing or at least only crow a few times.
How often does a Silkie crow?
Will he be loud or quiet?

We have a rooster collar that we'll be putting on him if he starts crowing again as we live in an area where roosters aren't allowed due to noise laws. Only thing that's allowed with the noise law is our hens making noise about eggs as long as its not in the early morning :lol: They only lay close to noon or after noon so we're good.

Here's I picture I took of him last week
IMG_20181215_110138.jpg

It's possible that if he remains low in the pecking order, he will not crow much if at all. I had a rooster like that, he never crowed. But if you are not allowed to have a rooster, to count on that is risky. He could gain status and his behavior would change.
Tell me about the chicken laws in Battle Ground. My kids live in Portland and we're planning to move to OR or WA next year to be near them, and would like to continue to have chickens. How many are you allowed to have? Are you in city limits?
I'll leave it to other Silkie owners to answer your other questions......

This is my Silkie Rooster (who has just begun crowing). He mostly just does it in the morning but has done it a couple times randomly during the day. It is too loud. I don’t know that you would hear it inside a closed house.

aw, he's a real cutie. We have owned and still own silkie roos they are loud just like any roo not as loud as say some of my larger breeds but if your not allowed them i would most definitely not count on him being quiet. We can hear ours from a pretty good distance.

It's possible that if he remains low in the pecking order, he will not crow much if at all. I had a rooster like that, he never crowed. But if you are not allowed to have a rooster, to count on that is risky. He could gain status and his behavior would change.
Tell me about the chicken laws in Battle Ground. My kids live in Portland and we're planning to move to OR or WA next year to be near them, and would like to continue to have chickens. How many are you allowed to have? Are you in city limits?
I'll leave it to other Silkie owners to answer your other questions......
I'm not sure about the chicken laws, only what my parents have told me.
I'm not sure about the numbers of chickens we can own.
Yes, we live right near the city.

UPDATE:
Sadly a hawk took Mikey while we were out delivering some items. I was upset when we returned to find him gone. Today was the only day he had been out in an area without netting overhead to keep him safe.

UPDATE:
Sadly a hawk took Mikey while we were out delivering some items. I was upset when we returned to find him gone. Today was the only day he had been out in an area without netting overhead to keep him safe.
I'm so sorry! Silkies are notoriously vulnerable to hawks. I think that's the only negative thing I can say about them. Otherwise, they're nearly perfect! We only have one, at the moment. Our Herman is loud, but he has a much deeper tone than the other roos, so his crow is not as piercing. Now that he's outside more, his voice is easy to pick out in the morning chorus!

Back
Top Bottom