Will hens destroy emerging daffodils?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tweety, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Tweety

Tweety Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2007
    On nice days we have been letting our girls out of their run to free range our yard between the patches of snow. They absolutely love it and have come to expect it. I noticed this morning that our daffodils are starting to emerge from one of the areas the chickens have been pecking and scratching in. Now I'm worried that they will destroy the daffodils if I let them out. Any thoughts or experiences with this problem? Will they destroy the daffodil bulbs?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I would cover them up so they can grow up and strong. Got a ton of trampled iris that chickens walk over and break all the little stems down tot he ground. They do manage to flower every year though.

3. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I don't know if I'm just getting lucky, but so far they have left mine alone. [​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    They haven't bothered mine at all, we have them blooming like crazy right now.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Tweety

Tweety Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2007
    Wow! You guys are great! Thanks for the fast response. I guess I'll let them out and see what happens. The girls will appreciate the help, too.

6. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    wow those daffodils look great! Mine are only 1/2 " up so far, then it got colder and they stopped in their tracks. [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My guineas and chickens don't mess with the green part, but they like to eat the bloom.

8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I just wanted to say...That is so not fair Rooster-Red! Beautiful flowers.

Mine stayed away from the flowers, but I think it was just purely luck. My tomatoes were murdered by the hens and I didn't get but one or two of them. I had to make fried green tomatoes, because the second they got some red on them, they got devoured! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by