1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will hens fight?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Glenmar, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I have a pair together. I want to put a second hen in with them. She has been with them before, but not for about a year.
    will the other hen or tom fight with her?? Are they as bad as chickens??

2. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Turkey Hens do have a dominance hierarchy just like chickens, but hens don't fight anywhere near as brutal has the toms do. I think adding the other hen will cause a couple disputes until the hierarchy is re-established, but after that there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  3. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    I see hens attacking toms more then hens attacking hens.
    Hens mostly run from another if trouble is a brewing.
    The most I have seem a hen attack another hen is when the tom was sick and dying the hen would protect the tom if another hen took a cheap shot at him.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My hens do not fight one another but they will fight and try to kill a rooster or any other bird in the chicken yard. They are brutal. They are THE meanest birds in the chicken yard and they have everyone afraid of them. They will also try to kill or run away any predators. I don't know where they get that behavior from but they are a force to be reckoned with. :oops:

5. Dragon Lady

Dragon Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2013
    I have four hens. There is a definite hierarchy in the group.
    One hen is much more dominant and just one look from her and the others will turn and walk away.
    Some infighting does happen. They try to grab each others head and pin down the opponent.
    More than one occasion I have laughed when 3 hens were running round and round the tom. He was spinning around and around until finally he pecked at the persecutor to stop her.

6. johninbulgaria

johninbulgaria New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    Bulgaria.
    I have 3 hens and last year they were all fine but now they are fighting each other. There is 1 adult tom and one youth tom that are in the same group. They aren't getting in the way. Can anyone suggest why the hens are only now fighting?

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO

Early Springtime, the jennies & hens will tussle, and the jakes and toms will spar. Working out the social order for the breeding season. Were they still under a year of age last year? (are bit more `modest' in their `knocking heads' as juveniles) How much room do they have (in a run - or free ranged?).

A thread with some more info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/849264/why-is-my-female-turkey-aggressive

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by