Will Hens go Looking for a Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Patinas, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Patinas

Patinas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2017
    Washington
    I don't know if this a dumb question or not but I don't want to have a rooster in my flock (this is my first time raising chickens). I live on 5+ acres but a couple of my distant neighbors have roosters because I do hear them crowing.

If I don't have a rooster and my hens are free ranging on days when I'm home, will they seek out the roosters if they hear them? I don't want my hens wandering off looking for love!

1 person likes this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Hens bond to a territory, so it would be unnatural for them to wander off, even for a rooster. More than likely they might become more vocal hoping to draw a male in.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

;)....If it was up to a Hen, their would be no Roosters...:)....Your Hens will not go looking for love...The Rooster will not come looking for Hens.....Your safe in that situation ...:)

Cheers!

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My hens without a rooster will often move to where they hear an adult rooster. The home range / territoriality does slow the process. What the hen will do is adjust her free-ranging habits slowly over time and she will become more vocal at times, especially around egg laying time. Roosters (mature) without a harem will respond more quickly to such signals from an unattached hen and be more apt to go to hen if not more than a couple hundred yards away. That usually takes time as well. What speeds things up is a predator disturbance causing range / roost site to shift. I have had single hens move 1/4 mile over the course of a summer. I do not know if males will go so far unless disturbed because they are managed more closely.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Depending on how 'distant'...... it is surely possible they will 'hook up'.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Two acreages from me have Chickens and Roosters too, zero issues ever with our flocks intermingling....lol...;)

Your fine...:)

Cheers!

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

Hope you are enjoying BYC!

I have boys in a stag pen and while the boys pace the fence to get to the girls, the girls go about their business without a care... only approaching the male pen when I am giving out treats. An occasional girl will groom a boy who been flirting at the fence. But none have acted as if they would go looking for a roo. My flock is 50+

8. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    I think that is an excellent and interesting question...Learned something from all the good answers![​IMG]

9. Patinas

Patinas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2017
    Washington
    Thanks everyone! I feel better that they won't go looking! I don't know if the neighbors with roosters let theirs free range or not but now I feel better that there's enough distance that it shouldn't be an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by