Will hens safely eat soured cottage cheese?

biddyboo

Songster
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Ashland, Missouri
Silly question? I don't know, but I hate to waste food if the hens can enjoy it. I found a nearly full container of cottage cheese soured:( I first began to pitch it, but then I wondered if this might be okay for the hens. Please reply quickly (and thanks!) if you have an answer for me so I can take them their new treat. ~G

Not sure myself, but the way I've seen things like this posted, if I wouldn't eat it myself, I wouldn't want them to eat it. Also, what goes in, also comes out in the form of egg taste

They'll love it... well, mine would, never noticed any difference in taste (of eggs), but mine get soured dairy no problem. I don't give anything moldy, (well, ok, light bread mold, geeze I'm finding lots of inconsistancies now that I'm typing this) I don't give anything that's spoiled, except for slightly spotty bread, and soured (but not moldy) dairy products. I don't know where to tell you to draw the line, but most dairy isn't dangerous if it goes sour, it's just unpalatable to us, it still has nutrition. My hens haven't shown any problem with it.

Last edited:
Try it once. My chickens pick at the compost pile all the time and still lay good eggs. I sure wouldn't eat compost. If the chicken doesn't like something, it won't eat it. Not saying it will supply the nutrients needed, but they will eat it if wanted. And if you're worried about taste, think about what the chickens are running in. Don't you think there's a chance they pick some of that up, too?

I have fed spoiled milk products and the chickens gobbled it up, AND there was no problem with the eggs except that the shells were good and hard.

We're talking about birds that pick through cow and horse poop for leftover grain.

We're talking about birds that will eat an entire 4'x8' slab of styrofoam insulation, as well!

I vote with giving the soured milk products to the chickens - good for them! If it has colored mold, scoop that out, but give them the rest. Other than obviously moldy stuff, there isn't anything in the way of old/stale/soured/wilted people food that I haven't given to chickens over the years, and never ever had a problem. Somethings they won't eat (citrus comes to mind), but before the invention of manufactured chicken pellets, chickens (and dogs and cats and pigs) ate.......leftovers! Did just fine, too!

hmm, one caveat - I don't give them junk food! (chips, candy, chocolate, "yogurt" that is really corn syrup with a dash of milk, etc).

I just gave mine some non-spoiled cottage cheese and they turned there little beaks up at it. They also turn them up at carrots and apples but love over ripe plums. Guess they have a sweet tooth lol Mine are very spoiled, they jump up on me and want to be petted like a cat or dog. lol I started doing that when they were one week old, now there huge @ 4 months old and think my head is a roost. Didn't see that coming. :)

I want to say that they can eat anything that is not moldy or rotting..but if you've even seen chickens scratching through a compost pile you'd know that they will happily eat stuff that is moldy and rotting!.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom