Will his feathers grow back?

le_bwah

Crowing
6 Years
May 1, 2018
Boise, ID
My Coop
My Coop
One of my sweeter boys was recently attacked by an aggressive roo who took patches of his head feathers out. The left side looks a bit scabby but I haven't seen him bleed. When should he get his feathers back?

P7170653.JPG
P7170655.JPG

It shouldn't take too long as long as it doesn't continue. This is actually very mild compared to what I've experienced. I've had to cull birds because there would be no way for them to recover from their injuries.

Is this happening in the big pen you built? That's surprising since there is so much room and cover for them to avoid each other. Pretty good barbecue weather these days...

It shouldn't take too long as long as it doesn't continue. This is actually very mild compared to what I've experienced. I've had to cull birds because there would be no way for them to recover from their injuries.

Is this happening in the big pen you built? That's surprising since there is so much room and cover for them to avoid each other. Pretty good barbecue weather these days...

Yep, happening in the big pen. I had two roos that were super aggressive. One went in the first cull, and the other I took out just the other day. The ladies were mostly holding their own, but this one roo just wouldn't run/fight, so he kept getting beaten up. The feather-pulling happened the day before I was set to cull, so I think I caught it early.

Glad to hear he won't be missing them for long (and I've seen what they can do to each other, which is what I'm hoping to avoid :fl).

Ive had one nearly all scalped before with flab’s of skin hanging off lots of blood and all - a few months later I can’t even tell at all. Totally 100% healed.

Last edited:
One of my sweeter boys was recently attacked by an aggressive roo who took patches of his head feathers out. The left side looks a bit scabby but I haven't seen him bleed. When should he get his feathers back?

View attachment 1471829 View attachment 1471830

I have 2 buttons that pretty much have no feathers on their heads because they kept flying up in their cage at night. Their feathers haven't grown back, but they are healthy. I cleaned their heads with a poulty wound spray.

I also have a jumbo female who kept getting attacked by a smaller male. Her feathers look terrible. I also used the spray on her. Feathers have slowly grown back in certain areas.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom