Will I be able to move my 4 week old chicks outside soon?

Rose the Legbar

Songster
Dec 18, 2022
Washington State
The chicks will be outside with a little bit of air draft but I am making a place where they can still get under their heat plate that’s out of the draft. Is it okay to do this as there is going to be a heat source that’s out of wind draft? I really hope that i’ll be able to get them out of their small dog kennel brooder soon so they can stretch their wings and legs more.
Also is it okay to start introducing the little ones to my two hens using the see but no touch method. I’ve had the babies outside in a small chick tractor and brought the adults over to see them and if anything the adults were scared of them.

Photo of my temps attached as well.

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 545FDFC6-2B52-4471-B1CE-B75A4FAD2AB7.jpeg
    545FDFC6-2B52-4471-B1CE-B75A4FAD2AB7.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 19
They really don't need the heat at this point if you wean them off it first.

I'd work on draft protecting the spot they'll be in over the next few days, while also reducing and removing their need for heat where they're currently being brooded, so you can move them out sans heat after a week or thereabouts.

And yes I'd get to working on see but don't touch once they're out.

I just put some RIR chicks out side in a hoop coop with no heat at all. The huddle at night and keep each other warm as they need to. Once they are well feathered mine go into the hoop coop that I use as an outdoor brooder house.

Back
Top Bottom