Will I be chasing the chickens back in??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Half-a-dozen, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Full grown hens (14 months old).......if I let them out one hour before dark to free range (first time) will I have to run around chasing them back in or will they want to go to roost?

Thanks

2. kevin2010

kevin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    you might or might not i had to leed mine back to the coop their first two times and then they got use to the idea but it was not that bad

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  3. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    ok Thanks [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Great question! I was wondering that myself. Thanks for asking it! [​IMG]

5. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

If they have been locked in the coop long enough for them to have been roosting there for a while, they will go back in themselves. Well, they should. If your luck is like mine, there will be one butt who will want to roost in the trees.
    The ones roosting in the trees are the ones you chase out of the tree and back into the coop.
    The rule of thumb also is...if I have to chase anyone...you go back on lock down for another week!

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    They know where home is after being in their hen house for that long. I can't imagine that you would have any issue with them not going right back to their roosts at sundown.

Do they come to you when you call for them? If so, that's a good back-up plan .... just in case.

Good luck. They will LOVE free ranging and you will love watching them be so happy.

7. Half-a-dozen

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    well it was done and they did great!!!! and ohhh soooo much fun. They had a blast [​IMG]
    They went right back in no problem!!!
    Thanks everyone [​IMG]

8. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

That's good...
    I know I wondered the same ???? whe I first let the chickens out.
    They have an indoor and outdoor coop to use all the time. But the first time I let them free range I watched them like a hawk...
    They didnt' venture to far from the coop itself for about the first week or so. They did end up going back in right around the time it started to get dark.
    Now they venture all around the yard. I have even seen them about 1/2 across our pastures, and they still come home at night. Tonight the chickens~~all but 1~~ were all in just as the rain started. That one stayed out in the rain and ran around, looked like she was having a blast. [​IMG] [​IMG] About 20 minutes later she finally had enough and went in the coop...Silly girls they are..

9. rockyroo

rockyroo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    hi there

Mine always went back in but there was one branch in a bush the odd chicken liked too roost in lol so i wud always check that ,otherwise a chicken likes his comfort too so will usually go back too roost in their usual spot .

10. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Do they wait until the sun actually goes down, or do they begin the trek in before? I am free ranging for about 2 hours before sunset, but I've "chickened" out (pulllllllllllllezzzzz! I couldn't help myself [​IMG]) and coaxed them in with treats well before the sun actually sets. They have been in their coop (with outside run) for almost a year. They definately know where home is, but I'd like to see them go in by themselves. (But checking on them of course, and to close them in for the night.)

Thanks! Ma

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I was about to post this very same question.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by