will i have to clip my turkeys wings?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by austinhart123, Apr 27, 2009.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i am building a turkey pen that will be impossible to cover due to the size and terrain... the walls are about 10 feet high.... will i have to clip their wings?

they are bourbon reds btw!

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Turkeys can fly very well. They would be able to fly out if they want to. But I have seen them not want to on occasions.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The hens will be able to get over that but once the toms get some weight on them they won't be able to. Once they get used to an area ours pretty much stay put.

Are you going to get poults or adults? If adults I would say clip since they won't be used to your place and if they get out they could be gone forever. For poults if they are raised right there they shouldn't go far even if they do fly out. So I would just play that by ear

Steve in NC

4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I have the 6 ft. tall dog kennel panels for my pens. The turkey hens can easily fly up and roost on the panels and get out and roam the yard. They come right back in the evening.
    My toms cannot fly out at all.
    The wing clipping can be risky if they do get out and then need to escape a predator.
    I have heard to only clip one wing? Not sure cause I do not clip any of my birds....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by