Will I need to wait until their combs grow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Renthorin, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Renthorin

Renthorin Chirping

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    To get eggs? They are 15 weeks old today and just barely growing their combs. Do they need fully developed combs before they begin to lay?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

15 weeks is young yet to expect eggs. Fully developed, reddening combs/faces are a sign that their bodies are maturing. Egg's will follow shortly.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Wait til week 17, then anywhere from there (which even then is kinda early) to week 24 is usually when they begin. Their combs will redden a lot more and get quite a bit bigger.

4. turtlebird

turtlebird Songster

Dec 11, 2009
    I had a Red Star that started laying around 15 1/2 weeks. Unfortunately, I can't remember what her comb looked like! What breed of chickens do you have? All my other standard heavy breed ladies started laying anywhere from 19-23 weeks.
    It is sooooo hard to wait [​IMG]

5. Renthorin

Renthorin Chirping

Jun 13, 2011
    Dexter Michigan
    Ok cool.....I'll wait a bit longer :)

I have Isa Reds, Barred Rocks, Australorps. I can' spell...I know this.... :)

6. hcppam

hcppam Songster

Quote:yes, you'll have to be on chicken time. [​IMG]

7. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Buffs and lords here and nothing after 22 weeks. There combs and waddles are bright red, but yet nothing yet, and it's cool) 70 to 80 degree's dang girls nothing nada not one egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by