Will it be ok to fed this?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tommboy1973, Jul 21, 2010.

1. tommboy1973

tommboy1973 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Hidden Valley, AZ
    This is my first time raising chickens, and have a mixed laying flock 12 weeks old. I have been using nutrena start & grow, but wanted to switch to Purina. I bought Flockraiser last night but after reading label realized it is for meat birds with 20% protein. Is it ok to feed to my chooks or should I return it?

2. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    It's the calcium % is what your concerned about. I have read though, too much protien too fast growth rate in bones that could lead to leg problems. I go 20% starter, 15% grower/finisher, 18% Layer, some folks go with a 20% layer.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    i would feed it....in fact i have

4. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    They will do great on the Flock Raiser. Just remember to provide oyster shell to the girls that are laying age.

5. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    I've been using Flock Raiser almost from day one because it is the only kind you can buy here that isn't medicated, unless you want to buy 5 lb. bags [​IMG] I will switch to a layer feed when they are old enough.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Many feed well over 20% protein. I don't think you need to worry about too much protein causing a problem until you get near 30% and even then a few people on here feed 28%. If you aren't using layer feed though you should provide some other source of calcium like oyster shell or crushed up egg shells can help. Since it's a good idea to put out oyster shell just in case even if you are feeding layer it takes no more effort for me. I use 22% game bird feed for everyone so I don't have to worry about age groups.

7. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ive read that the extra protein is good for them because unlike the factory chickens, backyard chickens are outside running after bugs and getting exercise [​IMG]

8. tommboy1973

tommboy1973 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Hidden Valley, AZ
    Ok I feel better now! When should I put out oyster shell, before they start laying? The australorps, golden sex link and welsummers are only 12 weeks now, with a few barred rocks at 10 weeks.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'd buy it, but wait to put it out free choice until, #1 - some are 20 weeks old, OR #2 - you get your first egg, whichever occurs first.

I put crushed oyster shell in an empty tuna can nailed to an inside wall of the coop, near the feeder. I keep it full. And I feed all different ages the same feed, grower/finisher (equivalent to FlockRaiser) all the time. Well, chicks under 8 weeks are kept separately and fed chick starter.... But I have two ducks as well as four different age groups in my flock.

10. mistyfeather

mistyfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    colorado
    i use flock raiser , everything els in the store i go to is medicated , they do fine with it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by