1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will it start a fire??? and more.........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mmajw, May 14, 2008.

1. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I heard that I should put my eggs in the bator in egg cartons. Should they be in cardboard or styrofoam? This is so they dont roll on the wire. I dont want the cartons to catch on fire.

I don't have a turner. When rotating them do I leave the pointy end down at all times?

I am waiting to put them in the bator until I know. Thanks for all the help.

2. lsuphillier1

lsuphillier1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    I use the cardboard tops--(there are openings on the bottom for the moisture and good ventilation). Keep the small end on bottom and just tilt from one side to the other (much like the automatic turner does).

3. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    How long have you done that with no fires?

4. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    The temps shouldn't go over 101F, which it gets here all the time in the summer. [​IMG]

5. lsuphillier1

lsuphillier1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2008
    Quote:Many times.

It gets 100 degrees here in the summer and the trash outside doesn't ignite.

Seriously 101 degrees is not near enough heat to start a fire.

6. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Well I know that 100 degress wont start a fire just didnt know if it would where it is enclosed near the heating element.

Thanks for the reply. they are now in the bator

7. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    When you turn them either tilt them or spin them. Always keep little side down . Dont turn end over end! Put an x on one side and an o on the other so you can tell how much you are turning them. Use a piece of lined notebook paper numbered thru 18 to make a turning chart. I decorated mine all fancy with markers. Haha. Oh yeah only write on the eggs with pencil. I heard marker is bad for them. Dont get paranoid about the fire thing. It will be fine. It doesn't get that hot unless you hit it with your arm like I did...it seems pretty freakin hot then! Seriously you shouldn't have a problem and if you do we're all here to help.

8. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    The temperature will need to get to 451*F before the cardboard catchs, and it will smoke beforehand. Your whole incubator will probably melt first and the breaker will trip. Chances are the heat source will fail before that happens anyway. Not to say there is not an inherent danger with using ANY electrical apliance, just like with eveything we do.

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Paper burns at around 450 degrees F. (remember that book "Farhenheit 451"?

Your bator would melt first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by