Will it work? Homemade incubator (will keep updated)

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
So my aunt comes to me tonight says she is making a home made incubator and im like how? and this is what she is doing

She has a regular cardboard box she took an old window scream placed it on top and covered it with grey tape. she took a small peice of plastic to make a window she placed a heating lamp inside its a 40 watt bulb over the eggs waited till they and watched to see if the eggs to warm to the touch and they are and have stayed that way she added a bowl of water inside and made a door on the side to use for adding water and turning the eggs by hand and has it taped when she is not using it. She told me on day 18 she was gonna stop turning the eggs and place more water inside.

She has 7 eggs inside. the 28th will be 21 days.

Will they hatch? Time will only tell. She wants me to candle them for her on day 3. What should I be able to see if they are growing?

Dh said growing up they used an old fish aquarium tank, put in a light, and some water, covered it partially and turned the eggs. He said that most of the eggs would hatch, but he couldn't remember and neither can my mil. I guess they did it about every other year, just because.

Michelle

DMK Ranch

I've seen weirder stuff actually work. I once hatched one egg taped up next to a regular light bulb. Turned it in it's pocket. It finally hatched. My mother thought I'd become afraid of the dark ( for 23 days exactly) LOL.

Bet that was a one-in-a-lifetime thing but sometimes even pretty sketchy set ups work, and fancy ones fail.

Good luck.

egg7fix.jpg

This is day 6. The spider webbing of veins should be apparent on day 3 only smaller.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom