1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will it work to....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Struttn1, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I have a Royal Palm turkey hen that has started a nest and has 2 eggs in it. I also have either a young Rouen or mallard that has started laying eggs helter skelter here n there all over the pen. I don't want to deal with an incubator and brooder this late in the year and am wondering how it would work to slip the duck eggs into the turkey nest and let her hatch them with her poults? I could separate the ducks after hatching if it needed to be done but would rather let the turkey raise them until they are feathered out if it will work. Anybody done this?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I know people who have used Chickens to hatch ducklings so don't think there would be a problem.

3. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I don't think the turkey would catch on that they aren't hers, I think it's a great idea and would do the same.

4. Struttn1

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I was concerned about whether the duck eggs have hard enough shells to handle a turkey sitting on them. I know they will smash chicken eggs when sitting on them.

5. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Duck egg shells are supposed to be pretty tough compared to chicken eggs from what I've read.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My muscovies egg shells are super tough.

7. Struttn1

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    On closer inspection I found that the turkey nest has 11 eggs so I am going to put the duck eggs in and let's see what happens.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by