1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will Ivermectin Pour On Hurt Developing Eggs If Broody is Treated?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PamB, Apr 8, 2011.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I would like to treat my chickens with Ivermectin Pour On this weekend. However, I am expecting some hatching eggs early next week (Monday or Tuesday) and will be placing some under a couple of my broodies. Will this hurt the development of the eggs in any way??

Thanks for your help,
    Pam

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Can't imagine why it would. On the contrary, they're rather prone to lice/mites when broody and this will nip that in the bud.

3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Thanks for the reply!! I was thinking the same thing. I have never had experience with lice/mites, but two of my girls that I'm breaking now from being broody I noticed have scaley leg mites. I cleaned the coop out today and gave them a bath with Adams Flea & Tick Shampoo. I had them standing in the bath for about five minutes to let it soak in. Then I covered their feet/legs with oil and brushed them with a toothbrush. I was researching cures for this on BYC and saw that a lot of people have good luck with the Ivermectin Pour On, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I only have 13 birds in that coop, so treating them this way should be fairly easy. Out of those 13, one is a cockeral and 5 are broody, so I figure now would be a good time to do the egg withdrawel for two weeks since the eggs are not very many. [​IMG] Those broodies sure are stubborn!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by