Will January be too cold for new Pullets

JohnPeel

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 8, 2012
Tan Lan, North Wales, UK
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, were going to pick up 6 18month old battery chickens in a couple of weeks, so I have been working hard on my coop, but now we are told we can't have the chooks because they are not well and will all be killed next week.

They did tell us though that we can have 6 new pullets in January 13. This is still good because we still get to rescue some chickens from 18 months of forced egg laying followed by a knock on the head, and the 6 we save will hopefully live a long and chickeny life with us.

What I want to know is, will these 6 young pullets be ok in their coop in the middle of winter. It gets to about -15 degrees c here for a few days through the winter, with January and february being the coldest. Do I need to do anything to help them, like special bedding or anything. The coop is double skinned and draught proof, with air available under the roof edges which have been meshed to stop stoats and rats and even mice.

Here are some pictures of the coop and the area they will have to play in. I have never had chickens before but I have always wanted them.

Thanks

Seems like they'll be fine.
They are over 6 weeks of age, so should handle the cold well enough.
You could provide them with a deep bedding for them to snuggle up in if they so choose.
You'll know when they're cold because they will choose to snuggle up inside the coop rather than roam around outside the coop.

Your coop looks fantastic, great job!

I always used to worry about them getting cold and i would take them warm pasta or porridge all the time in the evenings, but they just get on with it.

The most important thing is that you keep it dry, so make sure the water container cant fall over onto the bedding, and this is just because im a clean freak but in the mornings i like to take all the big poo's out so it doesn't get smelly and that they birds arent uncomfy.

Good Luck.
big_smile.png

my only ? is this battery hens from what I see a lot have no feathers when they brake free so the peole you are getting them from do they keep birds till there feathers grow back or if you get them with out feathers then I would worry it will be to cold for them till they grow there feathers in.

AlienChick, I made a mistake when building the coop. I built it before I new about deep litter methods and deep bedding, and put the door to the ladder in the floor in the corner. Now I think that everything will fall through the door openning with I let them out into the bottom area. I don't mind the stuff falling into the bottom too much because I want lots of stuff in the bottom, but I don't think 8inches of sawdust will last long, it will be like watching the sand in an hourglass. What about some sawdust plus straw?

Cary 1973, we were going to get the bold ones but we are no longer allowed as they are too sick and will all be put down, but we are told we can have some of the new stock being delivered at xmas. They are pullets and will hopefully have a few feathers.

I don't think you don't want sawdust for your bedding. Especially with young birds that's too much fine dust and could cause respiratory problems. I would use pine shavings instead. And if you can put a small collar of some type around the floor opening, you should be able to mound the shavings some in areas away from that opening. Keep the shavings shallow near the collar, and deeper elsewhere. Hope that makes sense. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom